OSAP and Other Provincial/Territorial Loan Programs
Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial governments.
Ontario Loans and Grants
The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government financial aid program made up of a mix of grants and loans.
Note that applications for the fall term are usually available in late May or early June. It is recommended that students apply for student loans at least 10 weeks prior to the start of the new academic year.
Visit the U of T Enrolment Services website or the UTSC Office of the Registrar's website for more information.
New! Out of Province (OOP) Request Portal
Enrolment Services has launched a new Out Of Province Request Portal (log in with UTORID/password). It replaces the old process of submitting request forms to Enrolment Services via email.
With this new portal students have the ability to:
- Submit government student funding forms that require completion by Enrolment Services (i.e., Program Information Form, Quebec Form 1121)
- View the status of their requests
- Receive important notifications and communication updates on their requests
If you have any questions about the OPP portal consult the OOP Request Portal on the U of T Enrolment Services website.
Keeping Your Loans Interest-Free
If you are continuing your studies but are not receiving OSAP for your current semester or academic year (referred to as study period), you must make sure that your previous loans remain in interest-free status. This means that you do not have to start repaying your loans while you're pursuing full-time studies.
Students can inform the National Student Loan Service Centre about their status as "in full-time studies" by submitting the online Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) application. This is an essential step to ensure that previous loans remain interest-free, and that previous loans do not go into repayment status.
The National Student Loans Service Centre is now on YouTube! Check out the NSLC channel for more information on the support they offer borrowers throughout their student loan experience
- If you have questions about your financial assistance from your provincial government, please consult the FAQ of the Enrolment Services website to know how to contact them and/or the appropriate provincial financial assistance website.
- Find more information on how to repay your student loans, payment methods, repayment webinars and financial relief, on the UTSC Office of the Registrar's website.
- You can book an appointment with a Financial Advisor at the School of Graduate Studies.
- For local assistance at UTSC, please contact the Campus Graduate Administrator.