- Collaborative geographic information science (data collection, management, analysis, visualization).
- Multi-modal cartography, especially audiovisual maps.
- Open source GIS and mapping.
- Data and geography: open, crowdsourced, historical.
- Framing of data: author transparency, bias, gender, fitness for purpose, privacy.
- Analytical methods and cartographic design.
- GGRA30: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Empirical Reasoning
- GGRB30: Fundamentals of GIS I
- GGRB32: Fundamentals of GIS II
- GGRC30: Advanced GIS
- GGRC34: Crowdsourced Urban Geographies
- GGRD30: GIS Research Project
Brauen, G., S. Pyne, A. Hayes, J. P. Fiset, and D. R. F. Taylor. 2011. "Encouraging Transdisciplinary Participation using an Open Source Cybercartographic Toolkit: The Atlas of the Lake Huron Treaty Relationship Process," Canadian National Commission of the International Cartographic Association National Report on Cartography, Geomatica, 65:1, 27-45.
Brauen, G., and D. R. F. Taylor. 2008. "Linked Audio Representation in Cybercartography: Guidance from Animated and Interactive Cartography for Using Sound," Brasilian Journal of Cartography 60:3, 223-242.
Caquard, S., G. Brauen, B. Wright, and P. Jasen. 2008. "Designing sound in cybercartography: From structured cinematic narratives to unpredictable sound/image interactions," International Journal of Geographical Information Science 22:11, 1219-1245.
Brauen, G. and D. R. F. Taylor. 2007. "A Cybercartographic Framework for Audible Mapping," Canadian National Commission of the International Cartographic Association National Report on Cartography, Geomatica 61:2, 127-136.
Brauen, G. 2006. "Designing Interactive Sound Maps Using Scalable Vector Graphics," Cartographica, 41:1, 59-71.
Refereed Book Chapters
Brauen, G. 2011. "Interactive Audiovisual Mapping: BTEX Emissions from NPRI Reporting Facilities in Montréal" in W. Cartwright, S. Caquard, and L. Vaughan (eds.), Mapping Environmental Issues in the City: Arts and Cartographic Cross Perspectives, Chap. 6, 74-108. Berlin; Heidelberg: Springer.
Invited Book Chapters
Pulsifer, P. L. and G. Brauen. 2017. “Geo-Semantic Web.” In: Understanding Spatial Media. Ed. by Kitchin, R., T. P. Lauriault, and M. W. Wilson. London: SAGE Publications. Chap. 13, pp. 136-148.
Brauen, G. 2014. “Interactive Audiovisual Design for Cartography: Survey, Prospects, and Example.” In: Developments in the Theory and Practice of Cybercartography: Applications in Indigenous Mapping. Ed. by Taylor, D. R. F. and T. P. Lauriault. 2nd ed. Berlin; Heidelberg: Elsevier. Chap. 10, pp. 141-159.
Ph.D. Geography, Carleton University
M.C.S., Carleton University
B.Sc (C. S.), University of New Brunswick