Your 8-week long course (from late June to late August) will include a wide variety of formats. You will work with your instructors and classmates as a whole class and in groups. You will also do individual work, and work with one or two other classmates. Throughout the session you will receive feedback from your instructors. You are expected to be punctual and to be prepared for all classes.
The specific learning objectives, after completing the program, are to enable students to:
- Strengthen note-taking, summarizing and critical thinking ability
- Practice information-management skills by using multiple sentences and precise expression of complex academic points of view
- Familiarize and use standard North American citation and annotation systems
- Plan and write well-developed summaries, responses and essays with greater accuracy and organization
- Read and interpret academic texts and articles, analyze and evaluate their implications
- Lead and participate in class discussions
- Speak with confidence, fluency and accuracy in seminars and presentations
- Deliver multimedia presentations with greater accuracy, fluency and confidence
- Increase the vocabulary of colloquialisms, terminology and technical terminology
- Exercise effective test-taking strategies
- Develop academic research skills
- Use online learning tools to your academic advantage
We encourage students to take advantage of the FAIR UTSC program to learn about the University community, explore a variety of resources and develop a social network for personal growth.