Forms & Guidelines

Placement Agreements (REQUIRED)
  • An unpaid student placement agreement is required when students are participating in an unpaid placement, as a condition of an approved academic program, in order to obtain a degree from the University of Toronto. 
    • Placement Agreements between the University and placement employers, are necessary in order to provide both the University and its students, as well as the placement site, with clear expectations of rights and responsibilities while a student is engaged in unpaid work.
  • A Placement Agreement must be read, completed, and signed by
    • (a) a legal signing authority of the Placement Site,
    • (b) the Chair of the relevant Academic Department and
    • (c) submitted to UofT’s Coordinator, Student Placements before a student begins their duties.
  • It is highly advised that Placement Agreements be completed before a course begins.
  • If the University has an existing agreement with the Placement Site, it may be possible to add your program via an addendum.
  • To begin completing a placement agreement between you and your placement site, or to check whether UofT already has an Agreement with them, visit the University of Toronto’s “Placement Portal”. 
    • Access to the Placement Portal must first be requested from UofT’s Coordinator, Student Placements, Bridgid McNulty
  • For help and guidance when completing a Placement Agreement, please contact UTSC’s Integrated Learning Experience (ILE) Coordinators.

TYPES of Placement Agreements

Short Form

The short form is used for most partnerships

Agreements are to be accessed through the Placement Portal. Information regarding which type of form is most suitable for your purposes can also be accessed through the Placement Portal or by emailing Bridgid McNulty

Long Form

The long form used for Non-MD partnerships

Agreements are to be accessed through the Placement Portal. Information regarding which type of form is most suitable for your purposes can also be accessed through the Placement Portal or by emailing Bridgid McNulty


University of Toronto has agreements with a number of affiliated hospitals, including those that are part of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network, as well as Community Affiliates, and Non-hospital, Clinical-Site Affiliates. These agreements are included in the central repository of agreements. A student placement agreement is not required to place students at these sites.

City of Toronto

The University of Toronto has a longstanding established relationship with the City of Toronto. Placements at the City of Toronto have specific eligibility and documentation. Contact Placements for more information.

Insurance Forms (REQUIRED)

Letter to Placement Employer

The Letter to Placement Employer is a letter which informs the placement site of how students are covered by workplace insurance and asks that they confirm their responsibilities to create a safe working environment and inform the University of any workplace accident or injury. An online version of the form can be sent to Placement Site Supervisors through the Placement Portal.

Student Declaration of Understanding

The Student Declaration of Understanding is an informational letter which provides an overview of workplace insurance coverage. The letter asks the student to confirm their understanding of their responsibilities and confirm that their personal information will be disclosed to Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) and WSIB or Chubb.”

Safety Resources & Guidelines - University of Toronto

U of T Accident Reporting Form

In the event of a workplace injury or illness, Student Trainees participating in unpaid work placements are eligible to claim benefits through the WSIB or private insurance.  Student Trainees must immediately report all workplace injuries or illnesses to their placement employer and to their placement coordinator at The University of Toronto using the New Accident Report Form.

Experiential Learning Risk Management Matrix

Refer to the Experiential Learning Risk Management Matrix for an overview of U of T guidelines and procedures associated with different types of experiential learning opportunities.

Framework on Off-Campus Safety

Refer to the Framework on Off-Campus Safety for guidelines to consider.

Safety in Field Research

Refer to the Safety in Field Research for guidelines to consider.

Safety Abroad

Students doing internship course placements outside of Canada are required to review the information on the U of T Safety Abroad website and consult with staff regarding travel safety, immunizations, etc. individually or in special sessions.

Safety Resources & Guidelines - Provincial

Workplace Safety & Insurance Act

According to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) earners on unpaid training placements with employers are unpaid trainees if both of the following conditions are met: the placement is authorized by a training agency, and the individual participates, however minimally, in the activities of the placement host’s industry. For more information, see the Workplace Safety & Insurance Act

Postsecondary Student Workplace Insurance

Consult the guidelines for information on Workplace Insurance for Postsecondary Students of Publicly Assisted Institutions on Unpaid Work Placements.

Unpaid Internships

Consult the Ontario Ministry of Labour - Employment Standards Act for more information on unpaid internships.

Health & Safety

For more information, consult the Ontario Occupational Health & Safety Act

Other Considerations

Police Checks & Vulnerable Sector Screenings/Checks

Students may be required to provide their host organization/placement site with a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check and/or Police Check prior to beginning their placement. Often, the community organization provides these documents or, if not, students can request these documents from the police services of the municipality in which they reside.

The processing fee varies between $20 and $30 across municipalities in the GTA and processing times may be several weeks. If a larger number of students require this documentation for the experiential learning component, instructors may decide to centrally coordinate this process for entire class.

For more information, please contact UTSC’s Integrated Learning Experience (ILE) Coordinators.

Partner Organization Requirements

Each organization in the community may have forms and policies relating to confidentiality, medical records and immunizations, along with their own security checks, safety and WHMIS training, etc.  Students must fulfill separate requirements at these organizations prior to participating in an internship.

Student Code of Conduct

This sets out expectations for student behaviour and prescribes processes for dealing with student misconduct and behaviour that infringes on rights of community members.

Research Ethics

For courses that contain an experiential learning component, if there will be situations where students will be conducting activities that the course instructor believes may constitute a research activity or project, the instructor should contact the Division of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation to determine whether an ethics protocol is needed.  A course template application is available through My Research Human Protocols (MRHP), which is the online ethics application system. Instructors requiring an ethics protocol would submit the protocol through MRHP and would be responsible for their students’ projects.

Confidentiality & Non-Disclosure

UofT HUB Information page on Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure

UTM Protection of Confidential Information Agreement (non-binding)

U of T NDA Template Package for Course Instructors This document below provides a template package for course instructors to use when a third party requests the use of a non-disclosure/confidentiality agreement.

For-Credit Experiential Learning Experiences (unpaid)

Under the University’s Inventions Policy and Copyright Policy, in the context of for-credit courses, students are generally the initial owner of the intellectual property created within the experience and students should not be obligated to participate in coursework that requires the assignment of their IP to a third party.

Non-Credit Experiential Learning Experiences (paid or unpaid)

Students participating in non-credit experiential learning experiences are generally acting as an employee or volunteer of the experiential learning partner. In such cases, the experiential learning partner will likely seek to retain the IP created through the experience and the employment contract or volunteer agreement will generally contain information to that effect.