Health & Safety Training Requirements
Basic Health and Safety Awareness Training
As of July 1, 2014, employers in Ontario must ensure that all employees (workers, supervisors, managers, directors, etc.) complete a basic occupational health and safety awareness training program. To meet this requirement, all UTSC employees (e.g. paid staff, faculty, teaching assistants, graduate students receiving stipend, paid interns, etc.) must complete EHS 002 Basic Health and Safety Awareness Training.
EHS 528 Slips, Trips and Falls is also a mandatory course for all UTSC employees.
Supervisors should use the following training matrices to determine health & safety and/or hazard-specific training applicable to their paid employees and other personnel they supervise (e.g. volunteers, unpaid interns, etc.).
To register for upcoming classroom courses, view training histories for you and personnel who you supervise, please visit ehs.utoronto.ca/my-ehs-training.
To access online EHS training:
- Go to My EHS Training.
- Click on "Log into My EHS Training" at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your UTORid and password.
- If this is your first time logging in, create your "My EHS" Training Profile.
- On the My EHS Training homepage, click on "Select from all available courses."
- Find a course using the navigation buttons, filters or search bar at the top of the page.
Click on the "Full Course Details" button on the right and a PDF document will open with a link to the training on Quercus.
- In Quercus, click "Enroll in Course" on the first screen, then "Go to the Course" on the second screen to continue to the course homepage.
The Completing Online EHS Courses tip-sheet provides a visual walkthrough for enrolling in and completing online EHS courses in Quercus.
For each new hire, a safety training acknowledgement form must be filled out by the employee / student and supervisor and returned to HR.
For more information about health and safety training requirements and course registration, please contact us.