The Office of Environmental Health and Safety's website features standards, guidelines, procedures and other useful resources on various EHS-related areas, including biosafety, chemical and lab safety, occupational health, radiation safety, occupational hygiene and hazardous waste management.
Laboratory Health and Safety Manual
The Laboratory Safety Program is intended to assist the University in minimizing the risks associated with activities in the laboratory. The Laboratory Health and Safety Manual is a key component of the laboratory safety program at UTSC. The purpose of this manual is to assist lab personnel in the identification and control of hazards in the laboratory. The manual focuses on topics related to general laboratory and chemical safety and should be used in conjunction with any applicable University and/or Departmental programs, standards and procedures.
Links to key pieces of legislation applicable to University activities, such as the Ontario Occupational Health & Safety Act and Workplace Safety & Insurace Act, are provided below.
- Occupational Health & Safety Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.1)
- Asbestos on Construction Projects and in Building and Repair Operations (O.Reg.278)
- Construction Project Regulations (O.Reg.213)
- Control of Exposure to Biological or Chemical Agents (O.Reg.833)
- Criticial Injury Defined (O.Reg.834)
- Designated Substances (O.Reg.490)
- Industrial Establishment Regulations (O.Reg.851)
- University Academics and Teaching Assistants (O.Reg.858)
- Window Cleaning (O.Reg.859)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (O.Reg.860)
- X-Ray Safety (O.Reg.861)
- Workplace Safety & Insurance Act (S.O. 1997, Chapter 16)
- Provincial - Smoke-Free Ontario Act (O.Reg.48)
- Provincial - General - Waste Management (O.Reg.347)
- Federal - Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act (S.C. 1992, C.34)
- Federal - Nuclear Safety and Control Act (S.C. 1997, C.9)
- Federal - Tri-Council Memorandum of Understanding for Research Funded by CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC)
- Federal - Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA 1999)