The EHS department works with administrative and academic departments to collect inventory of hazardous materials such as chemical, biological, radioactive and designated substances to ensure compliance with environmental, health and safety legislation and for emergency preparedness.
The asbestos inventory is compiled and updated annually by the Facilities Management Department after asbestos materials are re-assessed by an external professional asbestos consultant. The most recent inventory (2017) is as follows:
- Bladen Wing (201:BV)
- Humanities Wing (200:HW)
- Miller Lash House, Coach House & Garage (263:MLH & 261:CH)
- Science Wing (200:SW)
UTSC buildings not listed above were either assessed with no asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) identified, or are not suspected of containing ACMs based on the year of construction.
- General Information about Asbestos
- Asbestos Advisory Committee Members
- Asbestos Management Program
- Asbestos Management Policy
Hazardous Materials Information
Safety Data Sheets
This page provides links to safety data sheets (SDSs) for chemical and biological agents. Online access to the databases from ChemWatch and the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety are provided for University of Toronto users only.
For a description of the legal requirements for the provision of and contents of Material Safety Data Sheets refer to the Environmental Health and Safety publication WHMIS: What You Need to Know.
Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for Chemicals
- Online database with SDS available in GHS (Globally Harmonized System) format. Includes vendor (M)SDS, mini SDS, emergency information, label templates, and more. Access from University of Toronto IP addresses only.
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- Online SDS database from the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. Access for University of Toronto users only.
Pathogen Safety Data Sheets (PSDS)
Public Health Agency of Canada
- Pathogen Safety Data Sheets maintained by the Pathogen Regulation Directorate, Public Health Agency of Canada.
Other External Databases of SDSs
Interactive Learning Paradigms, Inc.
- Where to find Material Safety Data Sheets on the Internet. Site gives links to government and industry sites. Also provides links for pesticides and herbicides. FAQs and other useful information.
University of Vermont: SIRI Searchable Database
- Database searchable by both manufacturer and chemical.
- Sigma-Aldrich chemicals. Site is free but requires registration.
- Must first search for the chemical in their catalogue and then follow the link to the SDS.
- US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Collection of SDS-related sites.
- MSDSonline is a leading provider of SDS access and management solutions. Online database contains more than 1.2 million indexed and searchable Safety Data Sheet (SDS) documents.
ImageWave® EHS Enterprise® Software Solution
- This EHS solution provides SDS Management (SDSFinder®), Environmental Reporting (including SARA 313 and TIER II), Container Labeling, SDS Authoring, SDS Scanning/Updating Service and more.