The University of Toronto has a new tri-campus course evaluation system. (For background information see A New Course Evaluation Framework for U of T.)
On this site you’ll find:
- Important Dates and Process
- UT/UTSC questions/UTSC Guidelines & Procedures
- Ideas to encourage Student Participation in Course Evaluations
Your Summer 2019 course evaluation period is listed below.
|Undergrad Courses||Instructor Period||Student Period|
|F Courses||May 27 – June 3||June 6 – June 17|
|Y/S Courses||July 16 – July 24||July 29 – August 9|
The date for instructors teaching F term courses to opt-out of sharing their Summer 2019 course evaluation data will be May 27, 2019.
The date for instructors teaching Y/S term courses to opt-out of sharing their Summer 2019 course evaluation data will be July 16, 2019.
As always, these dates are also available on the Course Evaluations website under the heading ‘Important Dates’.
- There are eight institutional (Q1 - 8) and three UTSC-specific (Q9 -11) questions. Complete Question Bank (Word doc)
- Departments can select three departmental questions (Q12-14) from the question bank.
- Instructors are invited by email to select three additional questions (Q16-18). (This happens 1 – 2 weeks before the student window to complete evaluations opens.)
- Students will be contacted by email and asked to link to a site where they complete the course evaluation for each of their courses. They can also link to their course evaluations via Blackboard course sites.
- The course eval system sends each course instructor a detailed analysis of the student responses.
- An executive summary of each course’s questions 1- 6 (the student report) will be shared with students unless the instructor ‘opts out’ of sharing. Faculty who do NOT wish to share their course evaluations with students can ‘opt out’ of sharing at the following link - https://intranet.utsc.utoronto.ca/intranet2/s2/courses/optout.action
See the document: "Guidelines & Procedures for the Student Evaluation of Teaching in Courses" from the UTSC Office of the Dean in our Resources section below.
- Promote course evaluations before the student window opens and remind students while the window is open.
- Remind students the link will be sent to them in an email from the Vice Provost-Students. They can also directly access their course evaluations via Blackboard.
- Dismiss class 15 minutes early one day and tell students this is time provided for course evaluations.
- Explain to students how you value and use student feedback.
- Consider implementing midcourse evaluations (CTL can help) this shows you use feedback.
- Allow the ‘Student reports’ (which provide the average value for questions 1-6 and your departmental questions) to be shared with students (i.e. don’t opt out of sharing) and let students know you will be sharing.