Course evaluations are a regular component of courses at UTSC. The following provides information and background on the system and process.
Instructor and Chair Reports
Course Evaluation Summaries
Background Information/Interpreting the Data
For inquiries please contact us at David Chan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Janice Patterson (email@example.com).
• Choosing Instructor Questions
One to two weeks before the student window opens to complete evaluations, instructors are invited by email to select three questions (Q16-18). These questions allow you to procure information that may be pertinent to your teaching beyond the institutional and departmental questions.
• Current Course Evaluation Periods
• Report Release Dates and Reports
Reports are sent via email to instructors and department chairs from firstname.lastname@example.org. They're sent out only after final grades have been submitted and approved.
An executive summary of each course’s questions 1- 6 (the student report) will be shared with students unless the instructor ‘opts out’ of sharing. Faculty who do NOT wish to share their course evaluations with students can ‘opt out’ of sharing at the following link - https://intranet.utsc.utoronto.ca/intranet2/s2/courses/optout.action
INSTRUCTOR AND CHAIR REPORTS
a. The instructor receives:
• Data for Q1 -18. (The last three are any questions chosen by the instructor, if selected.)
• Student Comments
b. The chair/department receives:
• Data for Q1 -15. (Does not receive the questions chosen by the instructor, or responses to those questions.)
• Student Comments
• Academic Administrator Report.
Instructors can also obtain their course evaluation reports through Quercus.
REQUEST A COURSE EVALUATION SUMMARY
CTL prepares summary reports for teaching award nominations and instructor promotions only, and all summaries are automatically sent to the department chair and cc'd to the instructor. To request a summary, please fill out this request form. Please note: we require ten days' notice to prepare a summary. (Note: we do not have access to student comments. That information is included in each course evaluation report received by the instructor and department chair.)
BACKGROUND INFORMATION AND INTERPRETING THE DATA
You can read about the course evaluation framework and system. (Login required.) This site includes most of the above information and more, including how to view response rates, report release dates, course evaluation news, Divisional Questions, the Course Evaluation system, Interpretation Guidelines for Academic Administrators, etc.
UT Scarborough has created additional information to support instructors:
Ideas to encourage student participation in course evaluations:
- Promote course evaluations before the student window opens and remind students while the window is open.
- Remind students the link will be sent to them in an email from the Vice Provost-Students. They can also directly access their course evaluations via Blackboard.
- Dismiss class 15 minutes early one day and tell students this is time provided for course evaluations.
- Explain to students how you value and use student feedback.
- Consider implementing midcourse evaluations (CTL can help) this shows you use feedback.
- Allow the ‘Student reports’ (which provide the average value for questions 1-6 and your departmental questions) to be shared with students (i.e. don’t opt out of sharing) and let students know you will be sharing.