Deadline for nominations: Friday, May 3, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
This award is intended for UTSC Assistant Professors (Teaching stream, Tenure stream and contractually limited term appointments) and part time Lecturers who already have taught at least two years at the time of their nomination for the award. Nominees must have completed no more than the equivalent of six full academic years. This award can only be won once. The list of past recipients can be found at Assistant Professors and Lecturers Teaching Award Recipients.
The Selection Committee assesses nominees based on successful undergraduate and/or graduate teaching. The committee looks for evidence of outstanding student experiences and learning in courses designed with explicit learning outcomes and evidence of effective learning activities and assessments, as well as evidence of impact in at least one of the following areas:
- Initiatives to enhance and/or support student learning (e.g. the development of student mentoring programs or learning communities, innovative classroom practices, distinct approaches to courses and curricula)
- Initiatives promoting student-faculty or student-community interactions (e.g. development of research opportunities, or opportunities for co-/extra curricular learning)
- Contributions to the scholarship of teaching and learning (e.g. formal/informal research, presentations and/or publications on teaching and learning in a post-secondary environment)
- Pedagogical contributions outside the classroom (e.g. contributions to departmental/divisional curricular initiatives, work with teaching/learning committees or centres, mentorship of more junior colleagues)
- Ongoing pedagogical development/enhancement (e.g. professional development to enhance one’s own teaching, evidence of a scholarly approach to teaching)
III. The Nomination Package Components
A complete nomination package consists of a PDF file that contains the following:
- Table of Contents
- Letter of nomination written by a member of the University community, detailing the specific contributions of the nominee, which address the selection criteria above. If the nominator is not the Chair/Director of the nominee’s academic unit then the nomination letter needs to be supported by an accompanying letter from the Chair/Director of the faculty’s academic unit.
- Two to three letters from colleagues. These letters should speak directly to the impact that the nominee’s contributions have had to the teaching community and/or student learning.
- Two to three letters of support from current or former students that speak directly to the impact the nominee has had on student learning and development.
- Teaching philosophy statement written by the nominee (up to three pages).
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Summary table with items 1-6 of Course evaluations for all UTSC undergraduate and graduate courses taught within the last two-five years (as applicable). This table needs to include the academic unit and campus’ average for comparison. CTL will provide the table. Contact Janice Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this. The nominator also may wish to include student comments from one or two of the nominee’s courses (found in textboxes from course evaluations). If course evaluation text box comments are included for a specific course, all student comments from the course need to be included unedited.
- Summary of the nominee’s teaching-related achievements at the undergraduate and/or graduate level that address the selection criteria (noted above). One possible format for this section is:
Course and curriculum development
- Teaching and learning initiatives that the nominee has engaged in (e.g. development of an initiative for first year students, mentoring initiative for graduate students, outreach to high school students, integration/adoption of a new teaching approach, informal/formal research on learning, presentations on teaching)
- Teaching professional development activities
- Summary of qualitative feedback from students (unedited, as collected in the course evaluations text box sections)
Excepting the section on the “Summary of qualitative feedback from students…” the summary section (Item 8) should be a maximum of 12 pages.
IV. Nomination Deadline and Information for Nomination Submission
The deadline for nominations is May 3, 2019 5 pm. The complete nomination package should be sent as one electronic, PDF file to: Judy Brunton (email@example.com), Centre for Teaching and Learning, IC365. Questions regarding the nomination process should be directed to the Director of the Centre for Teaching and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org
At the request of the nominator, unsuccessful nomination packages can be reconsidered in the next award cycle, assuming the nominee consents and is still eligible.