How to Maintain Your Status in Co-op

Eligibility to Remain in Co-op

On this page:

Cumulative GPA (cGPA)

Once you’ve attempted at least three FCEs -- which include failed courses -- the Co-op Office and the Registrar's Office will start assessing your eligibility to continue in co-op at the end of each semester.  We'll be looking for a cGPA of 2.5 or greater since beginning your studies at the University of Toronto Scarborough. 


  • GPA:  Grade Point Average -- Is your average for the semester.
  • cGPA:  cumulative Grade Point Average -- is your overall average calculated on the basis of all courses taken throughout your program so far.

​Find out more about how these are calculated with the GPA calculator at

How do I know my status in the program?

While it's our goal to help each student reach graduation with a resume full of successful, solid work experiences, we recognize that sometimes things don't work out.

Use this chart below to determine your standing in the co-op program.  If you are in good standing, you will receive emails from the office notifying you that you are progressing to the next stage in the program. For example, you will be notified that you have been enrolled in COPD03 or you have access to the job board to begin applying for jobs.  If you are on probation or will be removed from the program, you will receive a notification of a probation period or removal decision.

If your cGPA is Your Status in Co-op is What Does This Mean?
2.5 or higher In Good Standing Keep up the great work!

You must maintain your cGPA of 2.5 or higher to remain in the co-op program.

Between 2.3 and 2.49 On Probation
If you have a cGPA between 2.30 and 2.49, you’ll be placed on probation. 

Probation period: You have one semester to clear probation by achieving a cGPA of 2.50 or better in the next semester. If after one semester, you achieve a sessional GPA of at least 2.5 but your cGPA is not 2.5 or higher, your probation period may be extended for one more semester.
Need a little help? Take advantage of a number resources from the Academic Advising & Career Centre (AA&CC), including those designed to overcome academic difficulties.

Eligibility for work term while on probation: If you’re on co-op probation, you'll receive notification from the Co-op Office and the Registrar's Office.  During this period, you are not able to apply for co-op positions through CSM or independently until you have successfully cleared your probationary by following the next steps outlined in your notification e-mail/letter. 
Seeking a work term while on probation.  If in your seeking term your co-op eligibility status changes - for example you move from being in good standing to being on probation - you will not be able to view and submit any applications.  In addition, jobs found on your own will not be approved.  This is to allow your time to focus on your studies.  Any pending applications will be honoured and if you are selected for an interview, you will be able to attend and receive offers.
Permission to complete a secured work term while on probation.  If your cGPA falls below 2.50 after having secured a work term through the job search process, you can complete the work term but can only participate in your next recruitment cycle after successfully clearing probation.
Below 2.3 Removed from Co-op Students who have attempted at least three FCEs and have a cGPA of less than 2.3 will be removed from the program.

If you'd like to reapply to the co-op program after being removed, keep in mind that any decisions to readmit you to the program are made on a case-by-case basis.  The best person to speak with about your individual situation is the Operations Manager.

To help boost your academics, you should take advantage of the online and in-person resources offered at the Academic Advising & Career Center (AA&CC) including those designed to overcome academic difficulties.

Course Load

For questions regarding the recommended course load, click here to learn more details.