Considering a work term outside of the GTA?
The Co-op Relocation Grant is a financial award of $250 available to Arts & Science Co-op students who secure a work term outside of the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area (GTHA). Students who are awarded this grant will receive funds while on work term and can use the funds at their discretion.
Application periods will open approximately in mid-April (for upcoming summer work terms), mid-August (for upcoming fall work terms) and mid-December (for upcoming winter work terms). The application will consist of a written personal statement (1 page that comments on how the grant will be of assistance, why you decided to relocate for your work term, the impact the experience has had on your personal and/or professional goals, etc.) as well as a budget template to outline your financial need.
Once the application period opens, we will email students heading out on work term with application instructions, requirements and deadlines. An evaluation committee consisting of Co-op staff and the donor will review all applications during each submission period, and the successful applicant will be notified by the Co-op Office.
- You must be an Arts & Science Co-op student who has successfully secured a work term.
- You must complete the full application package, including the personal statement and budget.
- You must be relocating to another city outside of the GTHA (i.e. students who secure a work term in Toronto and opt to move downtown are not eligible).
- You must be commuting to a location where it isn't feasible to travel on a daily basis.
- You are not returning to your original place of residence, i.e. if you're from Vancouver and have secured a work term there.
July 2, 2019
**EXTENDED: July 15, 12pm EST
|Fall 2019||Mid-October (Date TBC)|
|Winter 2020||Date TBC|
Moving to a new city can be a big decision and a bit of a daunting task, but it also offers a wide variety of benefits. We spoke with a few co-op students who chose to venture beyond the GTA for their work terms and collected some of their advice.
Sanjay Jeyakumaran is the Winter term recipient of the Co-op Relocation Grant, a $250 financial award made available to Arts & Science Co-op students who secure a work term outside of the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area. Sanjay reflects on his work term relocation to Vancouver: "I implore everyone in the Co-op program to explore their options outside of Toronto. It’s easy to be complacent and stay within the confines of what you know but venturing into unfamiliar territory will change how you approach the rest of your undergraduate degree."