On this page:
- Your first year: General program areas
- Your second year: Specifying your program of study (or your POSt)
- Transferring to another co-op POSt
If you’ve been admitted into co-op directly from high school, you’ll begin in one of the following five program areas:
- Life Sciences (two work terms)
- Humanities & Social Sciences (two work terms)
- Physical & Environmental Sciences (three work terms)
- Computer and Mathematical Sciences (three work terms)
- Psychological & Health Sciences (two work terms)
Program of Study (Subject POSt)
Once you complete four full credit equivalents (FCEs), you must select a specific subject as your program of study (subject POSt). Your subject POSt is typically at the end of your first year or after two semesters. This is also known as your major or specialization.Subject POSts are not guaranteed.
Want to request a subject POSt for a program area that you weren’t admitted to?
This may be possible, but first you’ll need to double-check that you meet the specific requirements for that program. You can verify these in the undergraduate program calendar.
This is an important step: if you don’t meet the minimum requirements, you won’t be admitted to your subject POSt after first year. This will impact your course selection ability, co-op course completion, and work term eligibility. If this applies to you, contact your Student Development Coordinator.
Once chosen, a subject POSt will put you into one of the following areas:
Computer & Mathematical Sciences
- Computer Science – Comprehensive
- Computer Science – Entrepreneurship
- Computer Science – Health Informatics
- Computer Science – Information Systems
- Computer Science – Software Engineering
- Mathematics – Comprehensive
- Mathematics – Statistics Stream
- Statistics – Machine Learning & Data Mining
- Statistics – Quantitative Finance
Humanities & Social Sciences
- City Studies
- Health Studies – Policy
- Public Policy
- Women & Gender Studies
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
Physical & Environmental Sciences
- Biological Chemistry
- Environmental Biology
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Geoscience
- Environmental Physics
- Environmental Science
Psychological & Health Sciences
- Health Studies – Population Health
- Mental Health Studies
If you’re already in a subject POSt and would like to request a transfer to a new one, it’s best to consult with the Academic Advising & Career Centre or your program supervisor to ensure that you meet the prerequisites for your new subject POSt.
Once you’ve confirmed that you have the prerequisites, you can request the transfer by selecting your desired subject POSt on ACORN.
If you submit your request to transfer partway through your first year, the request won’t be considered until you have your 4 FCEs.