On this page:
- Your first year: General program areas
- Specifying your program of study (or your POSt)
- Changing your co-op subject POSt
You begin your studies at UTSC in one of six program areas in Arts & Science Co-op. These are:
- Computer, Mathematics & Statistics
- Humanities & Social Sciences Co-op
- LIfe Sciences Co-op
- Physical & Environmental Sciences Co-op
- Psychological & Health Sciences Co-op
- French Co-op
Once you have completed four Full Course Equivalents (FCEs), you must apply for a specific co-op subject POSt. A subject POSt is the co-op program you want to Specialize or Major in. You can complete a Co-op Specialist, a double major (one in Co-op), or a Co-op Major and two minors. Co-op programs are offered with Specialist and Major options only. These lead to an Honours Bachelor of Arts or Honours Bachelor of Science degree which is comprised of 20 FCEs and a minimum of two or three co-op work terms depending on the program. Typically, students request their subject POSt at the end of their first year or after two semesters, in April or July. These are 36 co-op specific subject POSts to choose from.
Once chosen, a subject POSt will put you into one of the following areas:
Computer & Mathematical Sciences
- Computer Science – Comprehensive
- Computer Science – Entrepreneurship
- Computer Science – Health Informatics
- Computer Science – Information Systems
- Computer Science – Software Engineering
- Computer Science - Major
- Mathematics – Comprehensive
- Mathematics – Statistics Stream
- Mathematics -- Teaching Stream
- Mathematics -- Major
- Statistics – Machine Learning & Data Mining
- Statistics – Quantitative Finance
- Statistics -- Major
Humanities & Social Sciences
- City Studies
- Health Studies – Policy
- Public Policy
- Women's & Gender Studies
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
Physical & Environmental Sciences
- Biological Chemistry
- Environmental Biology
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Geoscience
- Environmental Physics
- Environmental Science
Psychological & Health Sciences
- Health Studies – Population Health
- Mental Health Studies
Admission into your Co-op subject POSt is not guaranteed. This is because there are specific course or grade requirements that must be met in order to be accepted. For most programs, you will follow the same academic program of studies as your non-co-op peers; however, some programs have specific additional course and timing requirements that are detailed in the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Academic Calendar.
Requesting a subject POSt outside of your current program area?
This may be possible, but first you’ll need to check that you meet the specific requirements for that program. You can verify these in the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Academic Calendar. If you submit your request to transfer partway through your first year, the request won't be considered until you have your four FCEs.
If you have been admitted into a subject POSt and change your mind about what co-op program you want to Specialize or Major in, you are able to request to change your subject POSt. Once you've confirmed that you have the prerequisites, you can request the transfer by requesting your desired subject POSt on ACORN in either April or July.
If you don't meet the minimum requirements, you won't be admitted to your subject POSt after first year. This will impact your course selection ability, co-op course completion, and work term eligibility.