Details on choosing your Subject POSt on ACORN
On this page:
- Your first year: General program areas
- Specifying your program of study (or your POSt)
- Changing your co-op subject POSt
Your First Year
You'll begin your studies at UTSC in one of six program areas in Arts & Science Co-op. These are:
- Computer, Mathematics & Statistics
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Physical & Environmental Sciences
- Psychological & Health Sciences
Specifying Your Program of Study (Subject POSt)
Once you've completed four Full Course Equivalents (FCEs), you'll need to apply for a specific co-op subject POSt (or Program Of Study). A subject POSt is the co-op program you want to specialize or major in. You can complete a co-op specialist, a double major (one in co-op), or a co-op major and two minors.
Our programs are offered with Specialist and Major options only, which lead to an Honours Bachelor of Arts or Honours Bachelor of Science degree. No matter which degree you choose, it will be comprised of 20 FCEs and, depending on the program, a minimum of two or three co-op work terms.
Typically, students request their subject POSt after two semesters of study (in their first year), or in April or July heading into the school year. In co-op, there are 35 specific subject POSts to choose from.
Once chosen, a subject POSt will put you into one of the following areas:
- City Studies
- Health Policy – Health Policy Stream
- Public Policy
- Women’s & Gender Studies
- Computer Science – Comprehensive Stream
- Computer Science – Information Systems Stream
- Computer Science – Software Engineering Stream
- Computer Science – Entrepreneurship Stream
- Computer Science – Major
- Mathematics – Comprehensive Stream
- Mathematics – Statistics Stream
- Mathematics – Teaching Stream
- Mathematics – Major
- Statistics – Quantitative Finance Stream
- Statistics – Statistical Machine Learning & Data Mining Stream
Statistics - Statistical Science Stream
- Statistics – Major
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
Physical & Environmental Sciences
- Biological Chemistry
- Environmental Biology
- Environmental Chemistry (Specialist and Major)
- Environmental Geoscience
- Environmental Physics
- Environmental Science
Psychological & Health Sciences
- Health Studies – Population Health Stream
- Mental Health Studies
It's important to note that admission into your co-op subject POSt isn't guaranteed because there are specific course or grade requirements that must be met. For most programs, you'll follow the same academic program of studies as your non-co-op peers; however, some programs have specific additional course and timing requirements that are detailed in the 2021-2022 Undergraduate Academic Calendar.
Requesting a subject POSt outside of your current program area?
This may be possible, but first you’ll need to check that you meet the specific requirements for that program. You can verify these in the 2021-2022 Undergraduate Academic Calendar. If you submit your request to transfer partway through your first year, the request won't be considered until you have your four FCEs.
Changing Your Co-op Subject POSt
If you have been admitted into a subject POSt and change your mind about which co-op program you want, you're able to request to change your subject POSt. Once you've confirmed that you have the prerequisites, you can ask to transfer by requesting your desired subject POSt on ACORN in either April or July.
If you don't meet the minimum requirements, you won't be admitted to your subject POSt after first year. This will impact your course selection ability, co-op course completion, and work-term eligibility.