Interview sign-up sheets for ensembles are located on bulletin board next to the elevator, AA building, 3rd floor.
Does UTSC have music performance ensembles and if so, what are they?
When and where are the UTSC Music Performance Ensemble rehearsals held?
Do I have to audition for the music performance ensembles?
When and where will placement interviews take place for the 2018-19 academic year?
Auditions make me nervous and I’m not sure I’m good enough. Should I audition anyway?
What do I need to prepare for my placement interview?
I’m interested in Jazz. Are there any opportunities to get involved?
Can I get a credit for participating in UTSC’s Music Performance Ensembles?
Do I have to take UTSC’s Music Performance Ensembles for credit in order to participate?
If I choose to participate as a non-credit member, what will be expected of me?
Does UTSC rent instruments for student use?
Does UTSC have space to practice?
What instruments are normally accepted in each of the UTSC Instrumental Ensembles?
What if I play an instrument that isn’t traditionally found in one of the UTSC Instrumental Ensembles?
Yes! UTSC has several music performance course offerings from which to choose. Here is a list of our current offerings:
- Concert Band (LEC01): VPMA73, VPMA74, VPMB73, VPMB74, VPMC73, VPMC74
- String Orchestra (LEC02): VPMA73, VPMA74, VPMB73, VPMB74, VPMC73, VPMC74
- Concert Choir: VPMA70, VPMA71, VPMB70, VPMB71, VPMC70, VPMC71
- Small Ensemble: VPMA68, VPMA69, VPMB68, VPMB69, VPMC68, VPMC69
- Small Ensemble is a course open to instrumentalist of all kinds (eg., guitar, erhu, tabla, accordion)
The Concert Band, String Orchestra, Concert Choir and Small Ensembles each have a 2-hour weekly rehearsal in AA303. The following are the rehearsal times:
- Concert Band: Thursdays, 5-7pm (AA303)
- String Orchestra: Fridays, 3-5pm (AA303)
- Small Ensemble: Tuesdays, 5-7pm (AA303)
- Concert Choir: Mondays, 5-8pm (AA303)
Ensembles are open to all UTSC students, regardless of ability or background.
The ensemble directors do need to meet you at the beginning of each semester, however, so they can get a sense of your background and musical interests. Interviews are held at the start of each term. Sign-up sheets are posted on the bulletin board next to the elevator on the third floor of the Arts & Administration building of one week prior to the start of the semester.
Interview sign-up sheets for ensembles are located on bulletin board next to the elevator, Arts and Administration building, 3rd floor. Interviews will take place in one of our practice rooms, AA 3rd floor (signage will be posted).
- Concert Band: Beginning of September and January
- String Orchestra: Beginning of September and January
- Small Ensemble: Beginning of September, January and May. Please add course to ACORN to receive next steps during the first week of classes.
- Concert Choir: Beginning of September and January.
ABSOLUTELY!!! It’s worth the risk and you won’t know until you try. The placement interviews are set up in a friendly environment. Instructors are here for you and will be able to provide you with valuable feedback in order to help you improve as a musician. And if you’re not quite ready to participate in one of the ensembles, there are several options we can suggest that may help prepare you for entry and membership during the following semester or academic year.
Interviews take approximately 5 minutes to complete. The directors would like to hear you sing or play something that you love to sing or play. All styles accepted. (Note: this is not an audition!)
Jazz Band is not offered during this academic year. Depending on enrollment, jazz combos may be available through the Small Ensemble series.
Yes you can! Simply enroll via ACORN and voila!
Actually, there are two options from which you may choose:
- Graded stream for credit. Students will work to earn a numerical grade throughout the semester. Course work includes performance work (private practice, rehearsals, sectionals, and concerts); attending and writing about professional performances; and midterm and final performance assessments.
- Credit stream for credit. Students will work to earn a CR status on their transcript. Course work includes performance work (private practice, rehearsals, sectionals, and concerts); attending professional performances; and midterm and final performance assessments.
Concert Band, String Orchestra, and Concert Choir are open to the UTSC community for non-credit status, including students, staff, faculty, and alumni. Students interested in Small Ensembles must be enrolled in the course to participate.
A successful music ensemble comprises a dedicated and engaged membership. The performance and attendance expectations in this stream are the same as those of all members of the ensemble, ensuring a balanced and fair approach for all. This includes performance work (private practice, rehearsals, sectionals, and concerts); attending professional performances held on campus; and midterm and final performance check-ups and feedback.
UTSC has a limited number of instruments available for student use. These include: 1 piccolo; 1 oboe; 1 bass clarinet; 2 bassoons; 1 baritone saxophone; 1 trumpet; 2 trombones; 1 bass trombone; 2 euphoniums; 2 tubas; 3 violas; 2 double basses; and a broad range of percussion equipment (students are required to have their own sticks and mallets). These are available on a first-come first-served basis once the auditions have been completed. Please contact ACM Departmental Assistant (AA301) for policies and guidelines regarding instrument rental. The rental fee in 2018-19 was $50/term. (Note this is subject to change, per university policy.)
There are four rooms (with pianos) for student use on the third floor of the AA building. These are bookable during the academic year, Monday-Friday, 9:00 am - 8:30 pm. Please contact ACM Departmental Assistant (AA301) for policies and guidelines regarding space usage.
UTSC music performance ensembles are made up of a different assortment of instruments. Here are the instruments that are normally found within each:
- Concert Band: Piccolo; Flute; Oboe; English Horn; E-flat Clarinet; B-Flat Clarinet; Alto Clarinet; Bass Clarinet; Bassoon; Alto Saxophone; Tenor Saxophone; Baritone Saxophone; Trumpet; Cornet; French Horn; Trombone; Bass Trombone; Euphonium; Tuba; String Bass; Percussion
- String Orchestra: Violin; Viola; Cello; Double Bass
- Concert Choir: Soprano; Alto; Tenor; Baritone; Bass
- Small Ensemble: Almost everything. (Almost everything.)
Yes! We have a weekly ukulele jam called This Uke’s for U-TSC (Wednesdays, 1-2 pm), Ruckus: The UTSC Alumni and Community Choir (Tuesdays, 7:30-9:30 pm), and a student-led UTSC Glee Club. We welcome you to join any of these initiatives and/or meet with us to discuss the establishment of new music making groups.