Why study Music at UTSC?
• The Music and Culture Program at UTSC encourages students to combine their music studies with a Major or Minor from other ACM programs and/or with other departments (I.e.: Music and Arts Management; Music and Journalism; Music and Mental Health Studies; Music and Neuroscience; Music and Psychology; etc.)
• Our students enjoy the flexibility of choosing from a wide range of performance and classroom activities, as well as experiential education opportunities including concert performance, masterclasses with critically acclaimed visiting professional musicians, and in-the-field observation and engagement with through service learning
• Our program sets our students up for success through musical knowledge and skill development, leading them toward innovative career paths and opportunities
• We offer a unique approach consisting of three areas of focus: Music and Society, Community Music, and Music Creativity and Technology; our students are encouraged to develop depth of learning through focused study in a combination of these areas
• Our program includes courses in large and small ensemble music making (I.e.: Concert Band, Concert Choir, String Orchestra, Chamber Music), history and culture, theory, composition and electronic music
• There is no audition required to register for the UTSC Music and Culture program
Program of Study
For more information on the program of study, including program requirements and course descriptions, please see the Registrar’s Calendar.
To find this program on the OUAC website, search under University of Toronto Scarborough (found under the University of Toronto entry) under the category "Visual and Performing Arts, Arts Management & Media" (program code TUC); you will then be able to choose this program under the 'Subject of Major Interest' drop-down menu.
Should you have any questions regarding the Music and Culture program at the University of Toronto Scarborough, please send us an email.
Mark Campbell | Assistant Professor
Roger Mantie | Associate Professor
Alexander Rapoport | Associate Professor, Teaching Stream (On leave 1 July – 31 December 2021)
Laura Risk | Assistant Professor
Alan Stanbridge | Associate Professor
Kotoka Suzuki | Associate Professor and Program Director
Lynn Tucker | Associate Professor, Teaching Stream
William R. Bowen | Associate Professor |
Former Chair of ACM (2012-2018)
John Mayo | Associate Professor
Annette Sanger | Lecturer
Lenard Whiting | Lecturer