April 14 – April 21, 2022
Opening reception: April 14, 2022, 6pm-8pm
Click here: Digital Exhibition Catalogue
Virtual panel discussion with Evelyn Benoit, Nicole Tang, Anyi Wang, and Karida Jia Yuan Zhang: April 20, 2022, 7pm-8pm.
The Department of Arts, Culture and Media at the University of Toronto Scarborough is excited to announce Breakout, an exhibition and publication featuring works by graduating students in the Studio Art program. Breakout explores states of transition—of splintering and proliferation, of emergence and escape—as opportunities to investigate reality from a new vantage point. The artworks in the exhibition use process, abstraction, humour, and play to examine topics such as cultural erasure, the climate crisis, mental health, social connection, and the passage of time. Responding to a world marked by turbulence and uncertainty, this exhibition offers a space to contemplate change as an affirmative and generative force.
Works by: Jonas Anttila, Liying Bai, Evelyn Benoit, Mortasha Ho Tung Chan, Xintong Chen, Joanne Devanathan, Mahin Fatima, Jingyi Gao, Beier Gu, Xiaohui Taylor He, Millan Khurana, Jianyuan Kuang, Bryan Lai, Wenxi Li, Zixuan Li, Yixuan Lin, Xueying Shirley Liu, Nicole Tang, Ada Persaud, Anyi Wang, Miko Wang, Han Yu, Yanting Zhao, Karida JiaYuan Zhang, Zhehan Zhou, and Jiaoe Zou.
Faculty mentors: Hiba Abdallah and Will Kwan
Please read below for UofT's COVID-19 protocol before attending any in-person event:
- Individuals must continue to be masked in indoor spaces; medical-grade masks are recommended. Masks may be removed when eating/drinking at designated areas with tables.
- Individuals will be asked for Uchecks/proof of vaccination at the event entrances.
- Visitors must complete the Visitor Form (please see attached form). Please save the completed form directly on your phone in case you are asked to show it.
- Capacity limits and physical distancing is no longer required, but please be respectful of other’s comfortability.
- For directions on how to get to UTSC and parking (if needed), please see this link.
If you would like to learn more about the university’s COVID-19 measures, please see https://ehs.utoronto.ca/covid-19-information/.
Special thanks to our sponsors Manulife, MBNA Canada, and TD Insurance for their generous support.