Work Study positions, which are paid part-time job opportunities created by U of T faculty and staff for in a wide variety of offices throughout the campus. These jobs are academic and/or career related (not clerical in nature) and offer you the opportunity to explore career options, gain experience and develop your skills. Many research positions are also funded through this program.
Work Study is open to domestic undergraduate and graduate degree students studying on a full time or part time basis (i.e., registered in at least 2.0 credits) and international undergraduate and graduate students studying on a full time basis, continuously from September 2018 to April 2019. International students studying on a part time basis are NOT eligible to work on Campus - please see the Government of Canada website for rules and regulations.
Students must meet couse load eligibility for the entire Work Study period - no course load averaging is permitted (i.e. taking all courses in the first 6 weeks or all courses in the second half of the summer is not permitted).
Important Dates Summer Program
|April 13 - May 18||Jobs visible to students for application|
|May 18||Job postings expire|
|May 7 - May 31||Hiring Period|
|May 31||Deadline date to hire and submit hiring forms to Enrolment Services (scanned copies accepted)|
|May 7 - August 10, 2018||Duration of Summer 2018 Work-Study Program|
Important Dates Fall/Winter Program
|August 8 - September 21||Jobs visible to students for application|
|September 21||Job postings expire from CLN|
|August 27 - September 28||Hiring Period|
|October 5, 2018||Deadline date to hire and submit hiring forms to Enrolment Services (scanned copies accepted)|
|September 4, 2018 - February 22, 2019||Duration of Fall/Winter 2018/2019 Work-Study Program|
Applying for Work Study Jobs
You can view Work Study jobs through your Career Learning Network (CLN) account in May and August each year. We encourage you to visit the Academic Advising & Career Centre (AA&CC) for help with your resume, cover letter and interview skills before applying. Once you determine what opportunities you are interested in, apply by following the specific instructions on each job posting. Note: Students are also only permitted to accept one Work Study position per program period.
Pay Rate and Hours of Work
- Minimum Pay Rate: $14.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay plus 10% benefits
- Work Study positions will be paid bi-weekly or monthly
- Average Weekly Hours: 12-15 hours per week (maximum 100 hours for summer; 200 hours for fall/winter)
If you are hired for a Work Study position, you will be required to complete the work study hiring form available on CLN at https://cln.utoronto.ca/myAccount/jobs/work-study/aboutws-facultystaff/wsforms.htm.
- Complete the Student’s Information, Employment Information and Declaration of Eligibility sections of the Hiring Form. Please ensure all fields are complete and accurate.
- Have your employer and the business officer complete the Hiring section.
- Completed Hiring Form should be emailed (scanned) or sent to Enrolment Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible for processing. The form must be submitted by the deadline.
Confirmation of your participation in the Work Study Program will be emailed to you as well as information about setting up payroll, timesheets, etc.
Please note that students are only allowed to accept and be employed in one Work Study position at a time.
- Set up your payroll information with the business/payroll officer in the department that hired you after you have received your approval email from Enrolment Services.
- You can download your payroll forms at the UTSC HR webpage or you can pick them up in the HR office, Room BV526E.
- You will be paid monthly or bi-weekly. Please observe the payroll schedule to ensure that you are paid on time.