Work Study Program

Across the University of Toronto, over 3,500 students are hired annually through the Work Study Program, providing them with a meaningful Work Integrated Learning experience.  Through paid on campus work experiences, students develop their knowledge, strengthen their skills, and explore how their academic studies transfer to career possibilities. 

There are two Work Study programs each year: Fall/Winter and Summer. 

Things to always remember when hiring a Work Study student: 

  • The University will cover 70% of the total cost of the student’s minimum wage plus vacation pay and benefits and the department is responsible for the remaining 30% of these costs. Please ensure you have this funding in place prior to submitting a job. Click here to refer to the latest minimum wage rates in Ontario.
  • All applications will be collected through the Career Learning Network (CLNx), instead of individual email accounts. For instructions on how to access applications, please log in to your CLNx account and refer to the Viewing Applications Guide
  • Each job posting submitted can have up to four vacancies.
  • Students can work no more than 15 hours per week, with a maximum of 200 total hours in Fall/Winter Study and 100 total hours in Summer Work Study.

Important Dates Summer 2019 Program

 Feb 11 - Mar 8  Job submission request period (faculty & staff)
 April 8 - May 17  Jobs visible to students for application
 May 17  Job postings expire
 May 6 - June 7  Hiring Period
 June 7  Deadline date to hire and submit hiring forms to Enrolment Services
 May 6 - August 9  Duration of Summer 2019 Work-Study Program (UTSC Program)

Important Dates Fall 2019/Winter 2010 Program

Fall/Winter program dates TBA.

Employer Eligibility

A Work Study employer must be a U of T faculty or staff member who is present on campus for the position's duration. PhD candidates, post-doctoral fellows and casual staff members cannot hire Work Study students. Eligible employers may submit multiple Work Study proposals.

Student Eligibility

The Summer Work Study is open to domestic undergraduate and graduate degree students studying on a full time or part time basis (i.e., registered in at least 1.0 credits) and International undergraduate and graduate students studying on a full time basis, continuously from May to August 2019. International students studying on a part time basis are NOT eligible to work on Campus - please see the Government of Canada website for rules and regulations. Visit here to learn more about eligibility requirements. 

Furthermore, in regards to the domestic undergraduate and graduate degree students, to be eligible for the Summer Work Study period, students must be enrolled continuously from May to August, with at least a half course in first session of the summer (summer one), and a half course in the second session of summer (summer two). 

Notes: 

  • Students are permitted to accept ONE Work Study position per program period.
  • Students do NOT have to be OSAP eligible to apply for Work Study positions.
  • Non-degree students are NOTeligible for Work Study
  • Students doing a placement already, are NOT be eligible for work study
  • Students registered in the Toronto School of Theology are NOT eligible for Work Study positions.

Salary and Payment Information

  • The total cost of each Work Study position is the hourly wage equal to minimum wage plus four per cent vacation pay + 10 per cent benefits (which includes the employer share of WCB, CPP and EI benefits)
  • The employer will be expected to contribute 30 per cent of the total cost of each Work Study position. The remaining 70 per cent will be funded centrally. If the student works more than 100 hours during the Summer Work Study program period (200 hours in the Fall/Winter),the wages associated with the additional hours of work will NOT be cost sharedand employers will be required to fund the additional hours from their own account.
  • Both you (work study employer) and your work study student will receive an email confirmation from Enrolment Services about 2 weeks after the Hiring Form has been processed.
  • The Hiring Form can be accessed by logging in to your CLNx account, then clicking the following link: https://cln.utoronto.ca/staff-faculty/overview/wspublic/wsform.htm
  • Students can download their payroll forms at the UTSC HR webpage; they can also be picked up in the HR office, Room BV526E.

President's Scholar of Excellence Program (PSEP) and Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship (Pearson Scholar)

You may receive an application from a PSEP or Pearson Scholar student. These are students who have demonstrated academic excellent and have a high entrance GPA. Only about 50 students receive the PSEP award, and about 40 receive the Pearson Scholar distinction annually, so you may choose to give them preference over other candidates. For benefits on hiring students from the PSEP program, please visit: https://future.utoronto.ca/content/president%E2%80%99s-scholars-excellence-program.For more information about the Pearson Scholar program, please visit: https://www.future.utoronto.ca/pearson/about 

More Information

For further information about U of T's Work Study program visit:

Questions about student eligibility and payment procedures:

Nina Luciano
Enrolment Services
416-978-7960
workstudy@utoronto.ca

Questions from UTSC employers about registering with the Career Learning Network and submitting your Work Study proposals:

Priya Antony
Employer Engagement Coordinator - Experiential Learning
Academic Advising & Career Centre
Tel: (416) 287-2759
prantony@utsc.utoronto.ca

Questions from employers on other U of T campuses:

Faculty and Staff at U of T Mississauga, visit UTM's Career Centre.
Faculty and Staff at U of T St. George, visit UTSG's Career Centre.