Studying Abroad

Imagine having the chance to earn credits toward your degree while living in your dream destination. Studying abroad provides you with the opportunity to expand your academic portfolio while earning credits towards your University of Toronto (UofT) degree.
The International Student Centre (ISC) is a great resource for any student who is interested in studying abroad. Visit the ISC at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) for more information (Room SL-151, Phone 416-287-7518).

Study Abroad Programs

There are several study abroad program options including:

  • Explore Program
  • Student Exchange Program (SEP)
  • Study Elsewhere Program
  • Summer Abroad Program

Before Going Abroad

Before going abroad, review this checklist and consult with your program supervisor!

  • Your courses must be reviewed for transferability by the discipline (Program Supervisor) that would teach the course at UTSC. For example, a Russian History course should be reviewed by the program supervisor in History, even if you are not enrolled in a History program.
  • You must consult with your Program Supervisor to determine whether the course taken abroad would meet the program requirement.
  • Documents to bring when consulting Program Supervisors:  Course outlines/descriptions that list topics covered  Credit weight and year level of each course
  • If you plan to complete take courses abroad, you may need to complete and submit an additional form to the Admissions and Student Recruitment at UTSC (Room AA130).

Important - Studying at another institution does bring a degree of academic risk. UofT cannot guarantee that the courses you choose will receive full credit. However, if you have provided detailed outlines and received the Program Supervisors’ transfer credit recommendations prior to your departure, then the risk is negligible.

Letter of Permission

If you need to study temporarily at another university and have the credits transferred to your degree, you must have the Letter of Permission application approved prior to taking the courses. Since the Letter of Permission is not routinely approved, you must explain why it is not possible to take the courses at UofT. You should also explain the importance of the particular courses selected. Consult with the Program Supervisor in the discipline (study area) that would offer the equivalent course to the proposed course. For more information, review the information on the Registrar’s website

Study Abroad Programs

Explore Program
The Explore program consists of a five week intensive language-learning course offered during the summer session at various institutions across Canada. If you are interested in the Explore program, visit In addition to applying to the Explore program, you must also apply for a Letter of Permission at UTSC to receive credits for your degree. Refer to the Registrar’s website for regulations concerning transfer of credits from the Explore program.  

Student Exchange Program (SEP)
UofT has developed partnerships with more than 150 universities all over the world. When you go on exchange, you take courses at your host university with local students, but you can get these courses transferred into UofT credits. Your marks will not appear on your UofT transcript and your courses may be transferred as exact course equivalents or as generic courses. To view the information on the list of exchange partners, eligibility, costs, and applying to the program take a look at the Centre for International Experience website and consult with the staff at the ISC.

Study Elsewhere Program
If the university does not have an exchange program with UofT, you can apply for the Study Elsewhere program. Fulltime study abroad opportunities are available at accredited universities (normally outside of Canada) for one academic year. If you wish to take only one or two credits elsewhere you should complete a Letter of Permission application instead. To apply, read and complete the Study Elsewhere application form and submit it to the Admissions & Student Recruitment office.

U of T Summer Abroad Program
You can complete a full-year UofT undergraduate degree credit courses from the UofT Faculty of Arts & Science abroad during summer. The Summer Abroad program takes 3-6 weeks to complete. The program allows you to observe and experience many of the things you study, including the language, history, culture, art, religion, business, and politics of the host country. For more information contact the Professional & International Programs at the Woodsworth College and consult with staff at the ISC and visit the website

International Graduate Study Programs
Interested in completing a graduate program outside of Canada? A good place to start is You can find helpful information on studying abroad and browse through a list of graduate school programs by country. The Professional and Graduate School and the International Opportunities Fairs held every October and February at UTSC, has International Schools participating. Make sure you check the transference of any credentials you receive with the appropriate Canadian professional association if you plan to return to Canada to work.

Loan/Scholarship Availability
Since you remain a UofT student while you study abroad, you qualify to receive most of the loans, scholarships and bursaries open to regular UofT students. This includes government assistance (e.g., OSAP, StudentAid BC, etc.), as well as other scholarships and bursaries. The Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada’s (AUCC) website provides information on international study scholarships as well as a database for international exchanges with Canadian universities at

Scholarships for Canadians and Non-Canadians
Canadian students can apply for scholarships for graduate level study and research abroad. Additionally, awards are available for international students to study and conduct research in Canada.