University is not only a major transition for incoming students, but also for parents and guardians. The Academic Advising & Career Centre has designed a special program within Get Started to specifically answer your questions and provide tips on how you can best support your student’s transition.
Please note: We can only accommodate a maximum of two parents/guests per student attending. All guests under the age of 16 are required to be accompanied by an adult.
A Session Just For You
You’ll be joining your student for lunch. For the rest of the day you’ll be in separate sessions with other parents and guests.
At Get Started, You Will:
- Learn about the academic policies your student will need to know in order to make informed academic decisions
- Discover what your student can do with their degree once they graduate
- Hear from a panel of speakers, including a parent who currently has a student in university, a student service provider, and a current student
- Understand your student’s financial options
- Engage with different service providers on campus to learn about the resources your student can access
How to Register
When your student registers for the Get Started program, they should indicate that they are bringing a guest and provide your contact information. This will ensure you get reminder emails for the program and any additional resources that will help you support your student’s transition.
Please note that there is no Parent & Guest programming on days for Transfer programming or for programming occurring after the first year course registration day on July 9.
There are many websites with resources on how to support your student. Please visit them prior to Get Started programming, and refer back to them later as your student moves through their degree: