If you are a undergraduate or graduate student (i.e. domestic or international students) registered in at least 40% of a full course load, you can apply for Work Study positions, which are paid part-time job opportunities created by U of T faculty and staff for in a wide variety of offices throughout the campus. These jobs are academic and/or career related (not clerical in nature) and offer you the opportunity to explore career options, gain experience and develop your skills. Many research positions are also funded through this program.
Students no longer need to be eligible for OSAP to participate in the Work Study Program!
Important Dates Summer Program
|April 17 - May 19||Jobs visible to students for application|
|May 19||Job postings expire|
|May 1 - May 31||Hiring Period|
|May 31||Deadline date to hire and submit hiring forms to Enrolment Services (scanned copies accepted)|
|May 1 - August 6, 2017||Duration of Summer 2017 Work-Study Program|
Important Dates Fall/Winter Program
|August 8 - September 22||Jobs visible to students for application|
|September 22||Job postings expire|
|August 8 - September 29||Hiring Period|
|September 29||Deadline date to hire and submit hiring forms to Enrolment Services (scanned copies accepted)|
|September 5, 2017 - February 23, 2018||Duration of Fall/Winter 2017 Work-Study Program|
Applying for Work Study Jobs
You can view Work Study jobs through your Career Learning Network (CLN) account in May and August each year. We encourage you to visit the Academic Advising & Career Centre (AA&CC) for help with your resume, cover letter and interview skills before applying. Once you determine what opportunities you are interested in, apply by following the specific instructions on each job posting.
Pay Rate and Hours of Work
- Minimum Pay Rate: $11.40 per hour plus 4% vacation pay plus 10% benefits
- Work Study positions will be paid bi-weekly or monthly
- Average Weekly Hours: 12 hours per week
If you are hired for a Work Study position, you will be required to complete the work study hiring form available on CLN at https://cln.utoronto.ca/myAccount/jobs/work-study/aboutws-facultystaff/wsforms.htm.
- Complete the Student’s Information, Employment Information and Declaration of Eligibility sections of the Hiring Form. Please ensure all fields are complete and accurate.
- Have your employer and the business officer complete the Hiring section.
- Submit the completed Work Study Hiring Form to the Academic Advising & Career Centre, Room AC213 as soon as possible for processing. The form must be submitted prior to the deadline.
Confirmation of your participation in the Work Study Program will be emailed to you as well as information about setting up payroll, timesheets, etc.
Please note that students are only allowed to accept and be employed in one Work Study position at a time.
- Set up your payroll information with the business/payroll officer in the department that hired you after you have received your approval email from Enrolment Services.
- You can download your payroll forms at the UTSC HR webpage or you can pick them up in the HR office, Room BV526E.
- You will be paid monthly or bi-weekly. Please observe the payroll schedule to ensure that you are paid on time.