To complete your degree at UTSC, you must complete both the degree and program requirements. The Degree Explorer is an interactive online tool that you can use to track your progress towards completing your degree. By using the planner feature in this tool, you can map out your entire degree by adding future courses. To void delaying your graduation and taking unnecessary courses, check your progress throughout your studies.
Complete the following 3 steps and use the tools below to make informed decisions about your academic plans.
- Confirm which Program requirements are complete, incomplete, and pending on Degree Explorer.
- Confirm which Degree requirements are complete, incomplete, and pending on Degree Explorer.
- Map out future courses required to complete your degree on Degree Explorer Planner.
Degree & Program Planning Tipsheet:
Refer to the tipsheet for information on how to track your degree and program requirements.
This tool checks your progress toward graduation. You can confirm your degree and program requirements that are complete and incomplete under the “Current Status” section.
Degree Explorer Planner:
This interactive course mapping feature allows you to see the impact of adding hypothetical future courses or dropping current courses towards your degree and program completion. Click on the “Planner” to add courses and check if you will meet the pre-requisites. Assess hypothetical programs you are thinking of completing.
Degree Explorer Tutorial Videos:
-Overview of Degree Explorer
-Using the Planner
-Checking Current Status
Future Course Offering:
Check the list of courses for the next academic year to help plan your courses.
Look for courses for your breadth requirement and search through courses offered at all 3 campuses.
UTSC Academic Calendar:
The academic calendar is published on April 1st of each year and is in effect for a year. This contains academic policies, list of courses, degree requirements, and program requirements which could change each year.
E.g. 2017-2018 calendar was in effect during summer 2017, fall 2017, and winter 2018 sessions. Calendars from previous years could be found on.
12 Distinct Credit Tipsheet:
If you are studying more than one program, use the tipsheet to calculate the minimum of 12.0 credits required between your programs.
- Psychology & mental health program checklists
- Degree & Program Planning FAQ page
Degree Planning Tips
- Students can complete the degree requirements outlined in the UTSC Calendar in effect during their first or most recent registration at UTSC, or any in effect during the intervening period.
- Not sure if you will meet the CGPA requirement? Use the GPA calculator (www.rosi.utoronto.ca/gpa_calculator.php) to calculate the grades you need.
- For students who started in 2010 and onwards, the breadth requirement category could be found in the course description. Tip: Search for courses based on their breadth category on utsc.calendar.utoronto.ca/search-courses.
Don't remember when you were admitted to UTSC? Check Degree Explorer. Look for Degree -> Start Session
Which Program Requirements Do I Complete?
Since program requirements listed in the calendar could change from year to year, it is important to understand which program requirements you can follow.
Enrolled in program prior to April 1, 2013 (Summer 2013 session)
- You can complete any of the program requirements since the year you were admitted to UTSC.
Enrolled in program since April 1,2013 (Summer 2013 session)
HBA & HBSc programs
- You can complete any of the program requirements listed in the calendar since you added your program.
- Changed from co-op to non co-op version of the same program? Complete any program requirements from the year you were admitted to the co-op program.
- You can complete any of the program requirements since the year you were initially admitted into the Management specialist program, even if you switch into another type of Management specialist program
Don't remember when you added your program? Check Degree Explorer. Look for Programs -> Start Session
Program Planning Tips
- You can follow program requirements from different calendars for your programs. E.g. 2017-2018 Biology major and 2016-2017 Psychology major requirements.
- Want to know which program requirements would be best? Use the Degree Explorer Planner feature to assess your progress towards completing program requirements from various calendars. Click on the drop-down box to change the year
- If you choose to follow the program requirements from a different calendar year, inform the Registrar’s office by using the “Contact Us” button in Degree Explorer.
- Credit/No Credit (CR/NCR) courses cannot be used toward your program.
- Planning to take program requirements at other campuses or abroad? Seek permission from your program advisor (uoft.me/programadvisor).
Do you want to use your transfer credits toward your programs? Seek permission from your program advisor. For further information review uoft.me/utsctransfercredit.
If you need assistance with your academic planning, you can meet with an Academic & Learning Strategist. Check our drop-in hour and appointments. Please note that students are responsible for tracking their program and degree requirements.