U of T’s Work Study Program provides students with the opportunity to development their knowledge, skills and experience through paid work on campus. In addition, on-campus employers benefit from central funding, which offsets a significant portion of the salary expenses (i.e. 70% within the parameters of the program). With recent changes, students are no longer required to be OSAP eligible to participate in the Work Study program, so a much larger pool of students are now able to take advantage of this great program.
Visit CLN for more details.
Important Dates Summer Program
|April 13 - May 18||Jobs visible to students for application|
|May 18||Job postings expire|
|May 7 - 31||Hiring Period|
|June 8||Deadline date to hire and submit hiring forms to Enrolment Services (scanned copies)|
|May 7 - August 10, 2018||Duration of Summer 2018 Work-Study Program|
Important Dates Fall/Winter Program
|August 8 - September 21||Jobs visible to students for application|
|September 21||Job postings expire|
|August 27 - September 28||Hiring Period|
|October 5||Deadline date to hire and submit hiring forms to Enrolment Services (scanned copies)|
|September 4, 2018 - February 22, 2019||Duration of Fall/Winter 2018/2019 Work-Study Program|
A Work Study employer must be a U of T faculty or staff member who is present on campus for the position's duration. PhD candidates, post-doctoral fellows and casual staff members cannot hire Work Study students. Eligible employers may submit multiple Work Study proposals.
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be registered in an undergraduate or graduate program on a full-time or part-time basis (i.e. a current undergraduate student must be taking a minimum of 2 courses (1.0 FCE) and be studying for the entire summer semester).
- Be taking at least 40% of a full course load for the entire Work Study period - no course load averaging is permitted (i.e. taking all courses in the first 6 weeks or all courses in the second half of the summer is not permitted).
Note: Students are no longer required to be OSAP eligible to participate in the Work Study program. Students are also only permitted to accept one Work Study position per program period.
Salary and Payment Information
The minimum pay rate is $14.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay plus 10% benefits. The employer will be expected to contribute 30% of the salary costs. The remaining 70% will be funded centrally. If the student works more than 200 hours in the fall/winter, the wages associated with the additional hours of work will NOT be cost shared. Employers will be expected to fully fund the additional hours.
President’s Scholars of Excellence Program (PSEP): Work-study employers can now give preference to PSEP students for their work-study positions. By selecting a PSEP student, work-study employers will receive 100% funding for their work-study position. Approximately 50 (across the 3 campuses) of the most highly qualified students applying to first year of direct entry, undergraduate studies will be distinguished as President’s Scholars of Excellence. In addition to the scholarship in first year, PSEP students are also guaranteed access to part-time, meaningful, on-campus employment starting in second year.
Both you (work study employer) and your work study student will receive an email confirmation from Enrolment Services about 2 weeks after the Hiring Form has been processed. Students can download their payroll forms at the UTSC HR webpage; they can also be picked up in the HR office, Room BV526E.
Questions about student eligibility and payment procedures:
Questions from UTSC employers about registering with the Career Learning Network and submitting your Work Study proposals:
Academic Advising & Career Centre
Tel: (416) 208-8166