University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) students may earn an Honours Bachelor of Arts (Honours BA), an Honours Bachelor of Science (Honours BSc) or a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree after completing the appropriate requirements listed below. In doing so, students are expected to adhere to the rules and regulations outlined in this Calendar. (Students who first registered at UTSC prior to the 2004 Summer Session may elect to receive a BA or a BSc degree after having completed the requirements for a three-year (fifteen-credit) degree.
Students in their graduating year who intend to take part in the next Convocation must notify the Registrar's Office of their intention either through ROSI or on a confirmation of graduation form by the deadline listed in the Sessional Dates section of this Calendar.
Degrees are conferred at university convocations, held twice annually: the Spring Convocation held in June and the Fall Convocation held in November. Students who have confirmed their intention to graduate will be sent an email to their UTORid account with information about their request and important dates and times in March for the Spring Convocation and in October for the Fall Convocation. A final confirmation letter will be mailed, from the Office of the Vice-President, University of Toronto, Principal, University of Toronto Scarborough. This letter is sent in mid to late May for Spring Convocation and in late October for Fall Convocation. For detailed information about Convocation, please refer to the Registrar's Guide and www.utsc.utoronto.ca/registrar
To determine if you have met degree and/or program requirements, login to Degree Explorer at www.rosi.utoronto.ca. For more information about Degree Explorer see the Student Web Service section of this Calendar.Degree Requirements
The following requirements apply to all degree students who first enrol as UTSC degree students in the 2013 Summer Session or in a subsequent session.
To qualify for the degree, students must:
- Pass at least 20.0 credits.
- Of the 20.0 credits, at least 6.0 credits must be at the C- and/or D-level, with at least 1.0 credit at the D-level.
- Of the 20.0 credits, at least 0.5 credit must come from each of the following five breadth categories. (See the course description for the category to which the course belongs):
- Arts, Literature & Language
- History, Philosophy & Cultural Studies
- Social & Behavioural Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Quantitative Reasoning
- For a Bachelor of Business Administration, complete a Specialist program in Management or in Economics for Management Studies
- For an Honours BA or an Honours BSc, complete:
- one Specialist program, or
- two Major programs, or
- one Major program and two Minor programs.
- Combinations of programs used to meet the program requirement must include at least 12.0 different full credits.
- Obtain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 1.85 by the time of graduation. Students who meet all of the requirements for an Honours Bachelor of Arts/Honours Bachelor of Science, except for the CGPA requirement, may elect to graduate with a BA/BSc degree provided they are in Good Standing (i.e., their CGPA is 1.60 or more).
Note: Only programs offered by UTSC may be used to fulfill degree requirements.
Honours B.A. and Honours B.Sc. Degrees
- Students completing a Specialist BA program will receive an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree;
- Students completing a Specialist BSc program will receive an Honours Bachelor of Science degree;
- Students completing a Major BA program combined with another Major BA program, or any combination of two Minor programs, will receive an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree;
- Students completing a Major BSc program combined with another Major BSc program, or any combination of two Minor programs, will receive an Honours Bachelor of Science degree;
- Students completing a Major BA program combined with a Major BSc program may choose either the Honours Bachelor of Arts or Honours Bachelor of Science degree.
Combined Degree Programs, UTSC, Honours Bachelor of Science (in Environmental Science)/ FASE, Master of Engineering (Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry or Civil Engineering)
Combined Degree Programs, UTSC, Honours Bachelor of Science (in Mental Health Studies)/ FIFSW, Master of Social Work
Graduation with High Distinction and with Distinction
Students who began their degree program at UTSC:
- Prior to the 2013 Summer session, should refer to the degree requirements outlined in the 2011-12, 2012-2013 Calendars.
- Prior to the 2010 Summer session, should refer to the degree requirements outlined in the 2009/2010 Calendar.
- Prior to the 1989 Summer session may, if they wish, complete the degree requirements outlined in the 1988/1989 Calendar.
- Prior to the 1980 Summer session may, if they wish, complete the degree requirements outlined in the 1979/1980 Calendar. For these students, the type of degree is determined by the number of science credits completed.
For information on upgrading three-year degrees, see the 2008/2009 Calendar.
"Second Degree" Requirements
Certificate Program in Business
- Pass 6.0 credits in Management and Economics for Management Studies, including: [MGEA01H3/(ECMA01H3) and MGEA05H3/(ECMA05H3)] or [MGEA02H3/(ECMA04H3) and MGEA06H3/(ECMA06H3)], MGTA01H3/(MGTA03H3), and MGTA02H3/(MGTA04H3)
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00. If a student's CGPA falls below 2.0. s/he will be removed from the program.
- who are not proceeding towards a University of Toronto degree or Certificate, or
- who have been admitted on an interim basis and who must meet certain conditions before admission as regular degree students.