The University of Toronto will reimburse out-of-pocket, university business travel and related expenses that are legitimate, reasonable and appropriate for the business activity undertaken, and that meet the terms and conditions imposed by the funding source used to pay for them. The expense must have been personally incurred by the claimant, i.e. the claimant does not request reimbursement on behalf of another individual.
The guiding principle is that the individual should neither gain nor lose personal funds as a result of travel assignments. Original receipts from suppliers must support all expense reimbursement claim items, except for per diem claims where applicable. Where original receipts are not available due to shared funding arrangements, then a copy of the reimbursement cheque from the other funding source should accompany the request for reimbursement from the University.
The mode of travel considered reasonable is that which provides adequate standards of comfort, convenience, safety and efficiency, and is the most economical option under the circumstances.
All expense claims should be submitted for reimbursement on a timely basis.
For guidance on individual travel expenses, see Guidelines for Travel and Other Reimbursable Expenses.
Process for submitting an expense reimbursement claim:
- Receive all necessary approvals for expenditures in advance of travel/purchase
- Gather all your ORIGINAL RECEIPTS (including BOARDING PASS)
- Group the same type of receipts, i.e. meal or transportation and tape them by group into a separate piece of paper, summarize the total amount in the bottom of the page. (For Faculty/Staff - Mark each individual receipt a number corresponding to the Expense Claim Form Receipt number)
Complete the EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT CLAIM FORM:
- FACULTY/STAFF – Internal Expense Reimbursement Claim Form
- STUDENT -
- VISITOR - Expense Reimbursement Claim Form ((including the “Missing Receipt Form”)
- Sign the “Signature of Claimant” field
- Obtain required supervisor signature (not applicable to Faculty/Staff)
- Submit form and all attachments to Financial Assistant, SW427E
Student Payroll Setup Package:
- TD1 2017 Personal Tax Credits Return (Federal)
- TD1ON 2017 Ontario Personal Tax Credits Return
- Payroll Bank Deposit Authorization
- Emergency Contact Information Form
- Safety Training Acknowledgement Form