Programming in The Hub is designed around best practices for early-stage entrepreneurship and design thinking. It focuses on the validation of business concepts leading to both innovation and commercialization.
UTSC Startup Competition
On November 18, 2017, The Hub will be holding its third annual Startup Competition – a dragons’ den style event. The idea is to provide promising students with innovative projects some guidance and financial support to create a successful business startup.
Students who are interested in the Startup Competition should know from the outset, that unlike the Dragons’ Den TV show, this is not a pitch for an equity stake in your idea. It’s a pitch contest to get you started. But it is also not pie in the sky. Your ability to do what you intend, and have a team in place to execute on your idea, will prove vital. It is more than a pitch competition. You will need to convince its judges that you indeed can do what you are pitching, i.e. create a business, a product, etc.
Please note: winning the competition earns your team a seat in The Hub – residency will be required, meaning that funds may not be won and taken elsewhere. The releasing of funds is linked to startup performance.
- Buy a free ticket on Eventbrite prior to November 4, 2017: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/startup-competition-tickets-37345279737 * required
- Please buy a free ticket for each member of your team (helps with food planning)
- Once entered — send a copy of two pitch documents by November 6, 2017 to email@example.com, * required
- Format of the pitch documents is Powerpoint
- Please include your 4-minute pitch (first round) and your longer 12-minute pitch (second round)
- Once entered, and your documents reviewed, you will be accepted into the competition * required
- Attend the UTSC Startup Competition on November 18, * required
Winners will be notified immediately following the competition.
Last updated November 4, 2017