Groups are a great way to learn new skills with other students who understand and can relate to what you are experiencing. For those groups that are designated as 8 Week Groups, pre-registration is required. Please contact the Health & Wellness Centre via email (email@example.com), phone (416-287-7065), or talk to your counsellor or other helping professional. Those groups designated as DROP IN can be attended by any student, even if you are currently suspended, on a work term, or taking a semester off. Simply show up when you can! All groups will take place in the Health & Wellness Centre, SL-270, unless otherwise noted. Groups will be starting at mid to end of January. If you are already registered in the group, you will receive a confirmation email closer to the start date.
8 WEEK Groups
- Mood Matters - Mondays 3-4pm Learn the relationship between your thoughts, feelings and behaviours and learn new coping strategies. The group will also practice specific techniques to reduce stress and manage difficult emotions.
- Self-Compassion – Tuesdays 1-2pm Learn skills to combat your inner critic by fostering a sense of self-compassion. The group will practice techniques aimed at relating to yourself more kindly, recognizing that the human condition is imperfect, and mindfully experiencing your thoughts and emotions.
- Creating Social Connections – Tuesdays 3-4pm Participants will have the opportunity to practice specific techniques that may be helpful in reducing social anxiety, social isolation or loneliness.
- Mind & Body –Wednesdays 3-4pm, TPASC Building Studio 1 Learn to manage your stress through physical and cognitive skill-building activities. Learn the basics of cardio, strength, and flexibility exercises in the studio and fitness centre. Boost your resilience through setting personal goals, applying character strengths, and practicing relaxation techniques.
- Body Acceptance – Thursdays at 1-2pm Participants will learn how to increase their awareness about their own healthy and unhealthy habits. This workshop will include interactive activities, helping participants learn ways to improve body image, and question myths our society holds about beauty.
Cultural Connections – Fridays at 1-2pm Creating a safer space for racialized students to discuss impacts of racism and oppression, build community, and enhance wellness.
DROP IN Groups
Relaxation and Meditation — Wednesdays 3-4pm - SL-279 Learn about the concepts of mindfulness meditation and how it can help with managing stress, increasing concentration and improving overall health. Practice weekly meditations. No previous meditation experience necessary. Mats and meditation cushions provided.
- LGBTQIA2S Drop In Group – Thursdays 5-6pm, starts beginning of January The LGBTQIA2S support group is open to any students who identify within the LGBTQIA2S community or may be questioning their gender identity and/or sexual orientation. The group will explore LGBTQ+ related topics including coming out processes, experiences of marginalization, and advocacy of queer and trans rights and identities. The group will also offer supportive space for discussion, and a variety self-care strategies.
Building Social Confidence - Fridays 12-1pm in IC302 This drop-in group is focused on enhancing students’ skills related to shyness and social nervousness in order to discover their inner strength and apply new skills in the aim of improving their level of confidence, academic performance and job search.
- Creative Commons – Tuesdays 1-2pm starting in March A group for students interested in creating as a means to wellness. All materials provided!