The Health & Wellness Centre is bound by ethics and laws and therefore your privacy and confidentiality is our priority. We are required to provide services according to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA") and the Personal Health Information Protection Act ("PHIPA") to safeguard your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information.
- collecting only the information that may be necessary for your care - keeping accurate and up-to date records and safeguarding the records.
- sharing information with other health-care providers and organizations on a "need to know" basis where required for your health care.
- disclosing information to third parties with your expressed consent, or when necessary for legal reasons.
The Health & Wellness Centre will hold information about you within our electronic health record (EHR) and will only share this information with others in your health care team. Any information you disclose will be released only with your permission and written consent. If you have questions regarding privacy and this office please feel free to contact Laura Boyko, Assistant Dean at 416-287-7067, or address your concerns at your next visit.
Counselling Confidentiality Statement
All information you share with a counsellor is confidential and will not be released without your permission except as required by law. A counsellor is required to disclose confidential information if:
- The counsellor believes that you may be a danger to yourself or others.
- The counsellor becomes aware that a minor is being physically or sexually abused or is at risk of being abused. By law, the counsellor must report this information to the Children’s Aid Society.
- A court of law subpoenas a counsellor’s records or particular records regarding an incident. In such cases, the counsellor will contact you, if possible, before releasing any information and will notify you of the proceedings.
- You inform the counsellor about a health care professional who has been sexually abusive to a client (including yourself). All regulated health professionals are required to report to the appropriate body, the sexual abuse of a client by another health care professional.
On occasion a counsellor may seek a consultation with, or supervision from another counsellor or staff member at the Health & Wellness Centre concerning his or her work with you. If you have any questions about confidentiality, please speak with your counsellor.