Hilary Brown is an Assistant Professor in the Interdisciplinary Centre for Health and Society at the University of Toronto Scarborough. She holds cross-appointments in the Dalla Lana School of Public Health and the Faculty of Medicine’s Department of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto and is also an Adjunct Scientist at Women’s College Hospital and the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences. She holds a PhD in Epidemiology & Biostatistics from Western University and an MSc in Community Health & Epidemiology from Queen’s University. She also completed a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Postdoctoral Fellowship at Women’s College Hospital and the University of Toronto Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Brown’s research interests lie at the intersection of maternal and child health and chronic disease epidemiology. She is particularly interested in the influence of maternal chronic medical conditions and maternal disabilities on preconception, pregnancy, and postnatal health outcomes and in the use of quantitative and qualitative methods to disentangle biological and social determinants of these outcomes.
- Reproductive and perinatal epidemiology;
- Maternal and child health
- Chronic medical conditions and disabilities
- Health and social services administrative data
- Foundations in Epidemiology
- Introduction to Public Health
- Methods in Reproductive and Perinatal Epidemiology
Awards and Grants:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, “Chronic medical conditions and perinatal mental illness” (2017-2019, Principal Investigator)
- Connaught New Researcher Award, “Maternal diabetes and perinatal mental illness: A population-based cohort study” (2017-2019, Principal Investigator)
- Women’s Xchange 15K Challenge, “Pilot randomized controlled trial of an interconception intervention delivered by public health nurses to improve reproductive and perinatal outcomes” (2017-2018, Principal Investigator)
- Women’s Xchange 15K Challenge, “Mental health of mothers with intellectual: Challenges and resilience factors” (2016-2017, Co-Principal Investigator)
- Aboriginal Statistics Program Mini Grant, “Teenage pregnancy and mental health of First Nations, Métis, and Inuit women” (2016-2017, Co-Principal Investigator)
- Canadian Dermatology Association Grant, “Pregnancy outcomes in women with psoriasis” (2015-2016, Co-Investigator)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2014-2016)
- Doctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2010-2013)
- Collip Medal, Western University (2015)
- Nellie L. Farthing Memorial Fellowship, Western University (2013)
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Brown HK, Ray J, Wilton AS, Lunsky Y, Gomes T, Vigod S. (2017). Association between serotonergic antidepressant use during pregnancy and autism spectrum disorder in children. Journal of the American Medical Association, 317(15), 1544-1552.
- Brown HK, Hussain-Shamsy N, Lunsky Y, Dennis CL, Vigod S. (2017). The association between antenatal exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and autism: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 78(1), 48-58.
- Brown HK, Cobigo V, Lunsky Y, Vigod S. (2017). Maternal and offspring outcomes of women with intellectual and developmental disabilities: A population-based cohort study. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 124(5), 757-765.
- Brown HK, Kirkham YA, Cobigo V, Lunsky Y, Vigod S. (2016). Labour and delivery interventions in women with intellectual and developmental disabilities: A population-based cohort study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 70, 238-244.
- Brown, HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Natale R, Campbell MK. (2014). Mild prematurity, proximal social processes, and development. Pediatrics, 134(3), e814-24.
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Natale R, Campbell MK. (2014). Neonatal morbidity associated with late preterm and early term birth: The roles of gestational age and biological determinants of preterm birth. International Journal of Epidemiology, 43(3), 802-814.
- Graduate Cross-Appointment, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
- Cross-Appointment, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Adjunct Scientist, Women’s College Research Institute, Women’s College Hospital
- Adjunct Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences
- Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research (SPER)
- Society for Epidemiologic Research (SER)
- Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research (CAHSPR)
- PhD, Epidemiology & Biostatistics (Western University), with Western Certificate in University Teaching and Learning
- MSc, Community Health & Epidemiology (Queen’s University)
- BAH, Psychology and Health Studies (Queen’s University)