Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Future Co-op Students FAQs

Do I need to pay a Co-op fee in my first year of study? What services do I get in my first year in the Co-op program?

Yes, students are required to pay their Co-op fee in their first year. The full cost of the Co-op Program is spread out over your first eight (8) or six (6) terms to minimize the financial burden on students in any particular year. Although you are not placed in your first year, first year Co-op students complete a number of workshops and activities to help prepare you for your job search, such as networking events, industry information sessions, career exploration, and navigating the world of work seminars. You also have access to volunteer opportunities, part-time opportunities and seminars to help increase your marketability to Co-op employers.
Fees are reviewed annually. For information on the Co-op fees or other fees information please contact the U of T Scarborough Registrar's Office.

Office: Registrar's Office, Room AA142, Arts & Administration Bldg
Telephone: (416) 287-7001

Is there a special fee that Co-op students have to pay?

Yes, Co-op students are required to pay a special fee. This fee is payable for the first eight (8) terms in which you are either registered in courses or on a work term. Students entering after first year pay six (6) installments at a slightly higher rate. Generally, students will have completed paying for their co-op fees by the end of third year. Consult the fees section for the current year's fee schedule.

Do I need to maintain a certain grade to stay in the Co-op program?

Yes, all students in the Co-op Program must maintain a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 2.50 (B-). The Co-op Director and the Registrars Office review each student's grades at the end of each academic session. Any student whose CGPA is between 2.3-2.5 will be put on probation, if a students CGPA falls below 2.3 they are removed from the Co-op Program. We advertise to our Co-op employers that our students all have an average of at least a B-. This assures them that our Co-op students meet high standards of academic excellence.

What elective courses should I select to increase my marketability for co-op work terms?

Co-op employers look for a variety of skills and attributes. There is no one set of courses or skills that can prepare students for all positions. Our required courses are excellent preparation for the technical requirements of your work term. However, some elective courses may assist you in coping with the other demands of your work environment. Courses you may want to consider as electives include Introduction to Management and courses in areas that will help sharpen your communication and interpersonal skills and prepare you for work in team-based project environments.

What courses do students have to do in Arts & Science Co-op Programs? Is the academic program the same as for the non-co-op program?

The academic program for the Co-op programs is usually identical to the non-co-op programs. The main difference is that students in the Co-op program must maintain a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.50 (B-) or higher. Students in non-co-op programs do not have to meet this requirement. Detailed course information is available in the U of T Scarborough Course Calendar. You can also link to your program description details from the Co-op Program Summaries page on this site.

How do the U of T Scarborough's Arts & Science Co-op Programs compare to co-op programs at other universities?

The University of Toronto Arts & Science Co-op Programs receive excellent reviews from our Co-op employers and graduates. While on work terms, many of our Co-op students' skills surpass the expectations of their Co-op employers. Many of the positions posted at the University of Toronto Arts & Science Co-op website are simultaneously posted at other institutions, including the University of Waterloo, the University of Guelph, McMaster University and Ryerson University. As a result, our students have access to the same opportunities as students at other institutions. We also have several Co-op employers who post positions exclusively with U of T Scarborough because they have had such a positive experience with our students.

What grades and qualifications do I need to be admitted into an Arts & Science Co-op Program?

Arts & Science Co-op Programs receive hundreds of applications every year. This makes entry into the program highly competitive. The following criteria are used to select the candidates who receive an offer of admission into our program:

  • Academic performance - Students' grades are very important in the selection process. The actual grade "cut-off" varies from year to year depending on the number of applicants and the university's internal policies.
  • Quality of the Supplementary Application Form - Each co-op application is carefully read and reviewed. The application helps us assess students' interest in their field, their interpersonal and communication skills, and special interests - all of which are important attributes of a successful Co-op student.
  • Work or volunteer experience - Work or volunteer experience in your field of interest, though not required, will significantly strengthen your application. It demonstrates genuine interest in your field, prepares you for working in a co-op work environment and demonstrates initiative.

Can I transfer from another university or program?

Yes. Students can apply to an Arts & Science Co-op Program if they are from another Arts & Science Program at the University of Toronto or from another university. Each application is assessed individually to determine if the student meets the admission requirements (or their equivalent). In some cases students may receive transfer credits for equivalent courses completed at other institutions or in other programs.

How do I apply to the Co-op Program? When are the application deadlines?

The Co-op application deadlines vary from year to year. See the application procedure above and for further information contact Admissions and Student Recruitment.

Telephone: 416-287-7529.

Do Co-op students get paid on a work term? If so how much?

Yes. Co-op students are paid on work terms. The rate of pay varies depending on your year of study, previous work experience and the employer organization.

Compensation Guidelines (as of 2017)

Program Area Average Wage/hr
Arts $16.64
Science $14.61
Technology $19.43


If I am admitted into the Co-op Program, when do I get information on courses, orientation, etc.?

Details on courses, orientation events, fees and registration will be in your admittance package. Please read through this package carefully. If you have questions on anything contained in the package please contact the Admissions & Student Recruitment Office at (416) 287-7529 or visit the office in the Welcome Hall, Room AA128, Arts & Administration Bldg.

Are there any special scholarships or financial assistance for Co-op students?

All Co-op students can apply to any University of Toronto scholarship or award for which they are eligible. All awards are listed in the Course calendar. For more information on awards, scholarships or the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), please contact the Registrar's Office.

Office: Registrar's Office, Room AA142, Arts & Administration Bldg
Telephone: (416) 287-7001

How long are the work terms?

Each work term is a maximum of 16 weeks (4 months) and a minimum of 12 weeks (3 months). Occasionally Co-op students take double work terms which are 8 months in duration.

How do students find work terms? Do they have any choice in where they go for their work term?

Yes, students do have a choice in where they complete their work term. Students must apply to Co-op positions and be interviewed by Co-op employers. A student is only "matched" with an employer if both the student and employer are mutually interested.

When does my first work term begin?

If you are in a program requiring three work terms, your first work term begins no earlier than your completion of seven (7) FCEs which is usually after your first three terms of study. If you are in a program requiring two work terms, your first work term commences after completion of ten (10) FCEs.