Why study Journalism at UTSC?
• UTSC offers a joint program of study with Centennial College and offers the best of both the theoretical and the practical.
• UTSC provides Journalism students with the best approaches to critical thinking and understanding of the world of Journalism.
• You will learn to write and report in a fast-paced real news environment.
• Centennial College Journalism gives students the skills and the tools they need to be successful in the rapidly changing media landscape.
• You will write and produce news stories for the award-winning community newspaper, the Toronto Observer as well as Observer Radio and Observer TV.
• You will talk to and report on newsmakers using the latest digital technologies and social media.
• The UTSC/Centennial Joint Journalism program arranges four-month internships with a range of the best news organizations in Canada’s media capital – Toronto.
• Guest speakers come to UTSC from the most prominent and well-known news organizations in Canada to share their expert advice on how to succeed.
• The Joint Journalism program gives students a strong sense of digital culture and technologies in media.
• Our students graduate with an Honours BA in Journalism from the University of Toronto and a diploma in Journalism from Centennial College.
• Our graduates go on to successful careers in journalism (both in Canada and abroad), media, graduate school, law school and corporate communications.
Students in Journalism can earn an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree and an Ontario College Advanced Diploma while learning from leading academics and professionals. The program focuses on the critical thinking, research, ethics, writing and communications skills needed to examine the changing issues concerning news media, journalism and society.
Students learn to tell the story from every angle in every media form relevant to today's audiences. Graduates take with them a portfolio demonstrating experience gained from producing a real community newspaper, online publications and internet radio, and are ready for professional careers in the media or in public and private sector communications. Get a head start on your career by combining the best in university and college education. The University of Toronto and Centennial College joint programs offer exceptional faculty at the forefront of their fields and real experience in cutting-edge environments. For more information on the program, please visit the program website.
Program of Study
For more information on the program of study, including program requirements and course descriptions, please see the Registrar’s Calendar.