Instructor, Department of Humanities (English)
- BA University of California at Santa Cruz, 1982
- MA State University of New York at Buffalo, 1984
- Ph.D. State University of New York at Buffalo, 1989
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
|St. George Office: ||MAB 308
Personal Web Site : http://individual.utoronto.ca/amlit/MB_photo.htm
Michael Boughn is a writer and independent scholar who has been teaching part time at the University of Toronto for 12 years. His most recent book of poems, Dislocations in Crystal, was published in 2003 by Coach House Books in Toronto. His interest in the forms of post-modernism has shaped his approach to teaching literary studies, whether it's the history of children's literature or recent developments in fiction.
I am currently working on a piece that compares the vocal music of Frank Sinatra and Chet Baker, looking at the ways each realizes aspects of Modernity and Post-modernity, especially in relation to the troubled question of beauty. I am also at work on a "post-Lucretian faux micro-epic" called Cosmographia.
- 22 Skidoo. shuffaloff, 2004. (Poems)
- Dislocations in Crystal. Coach House Books, 2003 (Poems)
- In the Branches of the Upper World: Selections from the Journals of Harvey Brown. Edited by Michael Boughn. Austin, TX: Skanky Possum, 2002.
- ONE's own Mind. Glover Publishing, 1999 (Poem) (Volume 4 in A Curriculum of the Soul)
- Iterations of the Diagonal. Shuffaloff, 1995 (Poems)
- H.D.: A Descriptive Bibliography 1905-1993. University Press of Virginia, 1993.
- Selected Essays:
- "Representations of Post-modern spaces in Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down," forthcoming in West Coast Line (Vancouver), Fall 2005.
- "Revisiting the Sacred," First Intensity, Summer 2003.
- "Olson's Buffalo," in The World in Time and Space, ed. Edward Foster. Talisman House, 2003.
- "Reanimated numbers and sounding’s modulations in two poems by William Carlos Williams." In William Carlos Williams and the Language of Poetry. Ed. Burton Hatlen and Demetres Tryphonopoulos. Orono, Maine: National Poetry Foundation, 2002.
- "Checklist of the publications of Frontier Press, 1965-1972," Talisman, a journal of contemporary poetry and poetics 23-24 (Fall 2002): 695-707.
- "Domestic Apocalypse and the Thought of America in On the Road," The Kerouac Quarterly 1.2 (Fall 1997): 2-6.
- "Rethinking Mark Twain’s Skepticism: Ways of Knowing and Forms of Freedom in the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," Arizona Quarterly 52:4 (Winter 1996): 31-48.
- "Introduction," Two Children’s Stories by H.D. H.D. Home Page (www.well.com/user/heddy/hdstor.html).
- "Introduction," Two Book Reviews by H.D. H.D. Home Page (www.well.com/user/heddy/hdrev.html).
- "Introduction," Moby Dick by Herman Melville (Hertfortdshire, U.K.: Wordsworth Editions), 1996. [v]-vii.
- "Exody and Some Mechanics of Splendor in Emerson and Blaser," Talisman 15 (Winter 1995/96): 158 61. Reprinted in The Recovery of the Public World: Essays on Poetics in Honour of Robin Blaser. Ed. Charles Watts and Edward Byrne. Talon Books: Vancouver, 1999. 356-360.
- "Introduction," The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Hertfordshire, U.K.: Wordsworth Editions), 1995. [v]-vii.
- "Measure’s Measures," West Coast Line 28:3 (Winter 1994/95): 93- 105.
- ENG B35 H3 Children's Literature
- ENG C50 H3 Studies in Contemporary American Fiction
- ENG 250 American Literature Survey
- ENG 328 Fiction, 1900-1960
Postal AddressMichael Boughn
Division of Department of Humanities
University of Toronto at Scarborough
1265 Military Trail
Last Modified Thu Sep 14 13:17:53 2006