How to Submit a Proposal
To submit a Work Study proposal, faculty and staff must register with the Career Centre via the Career Learning Network (CLN).
Note: CLN is the new tri-campus Career Centre system designed to optimize our online services to students, employers, partners, faculty, and staff.
Posting a new position:
- Login to https://cln.utoronto.ca/staff-faculty/login-facultystaff.htm and select “Faculty and Staff Registration” in the left side bar
- Complete the information on the registration page and select the blue “Submit Registration” button at the bottom
- When you receive a confirmation email to indicate that your account has been approved you can login to the same URL as above using your utoronto email and password
- Select “Jobs” in the left sidebar, then “Work-Study”> “Work-Study Jobs”> and then select the blue button “Post a Job”
- Complete the information on the form and be sure to select the blue button at the bottom of the form “Submit Posting for Approval”
Reposting a position:
- Login to https://cln.utoronto.ca/staff-faculty/login-facultystaff.htm using your utoronto email and password used for the old system (Career Centre On-line)
- Select “Jobs” in the left sidebar, then “Work-Study”> “Work-Study Jobs”> and then select the blue button “Repost a Job” (there is also a “Post a New Job” button if you wish to post a new job)
- Select the job you wish to repost and then select the blue “Repost” button at the right
- Update the information and be sure to select the blue button at the bottom of the form “Submit Posting for Approval”
NEW FOR 2014-15: Effective for the 2014-2015 Fall-Winter Work-Study Program, work-study jobs will be eligible for the Co-Curricular Record (CCR). Core competencies must be included in the Work-Study job proposals. For more information about the CCR, please visit http://ccr.utoronto.ca.
Work Study Proposals must:
- Clearly offer students more than just a financial benefit by supplementing the student's current field of study with relevant experience and/or by providing duties that are useful for exploring future academic programs and/or career areas.
- Clearly indicate the academic and/or career related benefits.
- Have been created specifically for the Work Study program.
- Be flexible in terms of hours of work to accommodate students' academic schedules.
- Be entered under the account of a U of T faculty or staff member who will be responsible for the Work Study position and be present on campus to supervise them.
- Include an alternate U of T faculty or staff member contact. Note: Students, including PhD candidates and Post-Doctoral fellows, cannot be used as an alternate contact person and cannot supervise students hired under the program.
- Include the contact information of the department's Business Officer.
- Include current funding (account) information (such as: Cost Centre, Fund Centre, etc.)
- Include the contact information of the department's Payroll Officer who will be processing the student timesheets.
Work Study positions must not:
- Contravene a union agreement. Note: If you have questions, please check with Labour Relations.
- Be volunteer jobs converted to paid Work Study positions.
- Be essential to the department such that departmental operations would be jeopardized if a student is not hired.
- Be clerical jobs such as data entry, word processing or filing.
Once submitted, proposals will be assigned a job order number, which will be e-mailed to you. Enrolment Services then will review all proposals, determine which are approved, and send an e-mail to successful employers prior to listing the Work Study positions on the Career Centre website. Enrolment Services will contact potential employers if there are questions about a proposal.
Funding is limited for this program and therefore not all Work Study proposals will be approved.
Completing the Hiring Process
You are responsible for completing the employer section of the Hiring Form (please note: this link will only be active during Work Study hiring periods) that must be received by Enrolment Services by the application deadline date. This will be checked to ensure that the student is eligible for the program and receives the appropriate documentation to be paid. Completed Hiring Forms can be submitted by the employer or student to the Academic Advising & Career Centre, Room AC213 and will be forwarded to St. George campus for processing.