Academic Advising FAQ
- Can I retake a course that I passed if I'm not satisfied with my grade?
- I need a course for my program and it's full; what should I do?
- I want to take a course on the St. George or UTM campus. How can I do this?
- How do I know whether to drop a course or not? What is the deadline?
- I need 5.5 credits in my last year in order to graduate. Can I take an extra course in my last semester?
- Is there is a limit on the number of first-year courses I can take?
- I want to take a course but I don't have the prerequisite; can I still take the course?
- I want to take a course that is required for my program, but it has an exclusion for a course I took last year. Does that mean I'm exempt from having to take the program requirement?
- When will my transfer credits be assessed?
- Who completes my transfer credit assessment?
- What if I have received a transfer credit payment form?
- What grades do I need in my courses to have them considered for transfer credit?
- What is the maximum number of transfer credits that I can receive?
- How much of my degree and program(s) must I complete at UTSC?
- Will my grades be transferred to my UTSC record?
- How are non-university courses assessed?
- What is a specified transfer credit?
- What is an unspecified transfer credit?
- Can my unspecified credits be used as prerequisite or program requirements?
- What are the "exclusions" on my transfer credit assessment?
- Will I be required to select my program(s) immediately?
- What if classes are beginning and I haven't received my transfer credit assessment?
- How do I choose my program?
- Can I change my program?
- What is a subject POSt? Where do I find the subject POSt codes?
- I really want to get into a limited enrolment program at UTSC. How can I make myself competitive to get in? Can I apply again if I don't get in the first time?
- My parents are pressuring me to stay in a program that I don't like because it will help me get a good job when I graduate. What should I do?
- What programs do I need in order to complete my degree?
- I have received some transfer credits. Will these courses count toward my program?
- I was removed from management because my GPA was too low. How can I get back in?
- How do I know if a co-op program is right for me?
- I've selected two major programs but some of my courses overlap. Is this allowed?
- What is a petition and how do I submit one? What are my options if my petition isn't granted?
- I missed a final exam because I was sick. What do I do now?
Probation & Suspension
- How does probation work?
- How do I calculate my GPA?
- I've been suspended, what should I do?
- Am I allowed to take courses at other post-secondary institutions while I'm suspended?
- How can I change my degree? For example, I want to complete an Honours Bachelor of Science, but I’m currently enrolled in the Honours Bachelor of Arts.
- Can I upgrade my 3-year degree to an Honours degree?
- I want to know if I have all of the requirements needed to graduate. Who should I talk to?
Study Skills FAQ
- I am not doing well in my courses. Where can I get help?
- I'm having some family issues and can't concentrate on my studying. I don't want my personal issues to affect my GPA. Who can I talk to about this?
- I did well in high school, but my grades really dropped in first year. Is this normal? What can I do about it?
- I procrastinate on my assignments. I think it's affecting my grades and I feel frustrated with myself. What can I do about this?
- Why can't I do well on multiple-choice tests? I do really well with essay questions.
- How many hours should I study per week in order to get good grades?
- How do the fairs work?
- Should I bring a resume to a fair?
- Why should I attend a fair?
- How should I prepare for the fair?
- What questions can I ask representatives at a fair?
- Will I get a job?
- What types of placements are available?
- How long are the placements?
- Why do I need to submit a Registration Form in October if the available positions will be posted later?
- Will you provide me with a list of possible placements?
- How are placement decisions made?
- How do I find out about my placement?
- Can I put this experience on my resume? Can I use my sponsor as a reference?
- Do all students get placed?
- I have a question that hasn't been addressed here. Who can I contact?
- What is the Work Study Program?
- Where can I find the Work Study job listings?
- How do I apply for the Work Study Program?
- What is the rate of pay for Work Study positions?
- What is the Work Study application deadline?
- Where can I get my resume and cover letter critiqued?
- I finished my courses in August and I'm looking for full-time work? / How do I register for RGES?
- How do I register for GSES?